Windows Server 2019 Essentials, Possible to access Group Policy without Domain User Account?

Copper Contributor

I have Windows Server 2019 Essentials on my home PC. When I try to access the Group Policy Manager, I get prompted stating I need to log onto the computer with a domain account. My computer is not on a domain nor have I any need for it to be on one. So obviously I don't have a domain account. Is there a way to get around this issue?

I don't believe there is a way to add my admin account to a domain users group. Maybe I can create a domain with just my computer on it? Would I need to add active directory service to my computer to do that? Any better ideas?

2 Replies
Don't connect as "User" but as "MYSERVER-NAME\User" that's it. Or if you have a domain name (seems not) .. User@mydomainname.com

@AxelEric 

I want to log in as "server Name\User" as you suggested,  but it is not giving me the option to enter the user field myself. It only gives me the option to select which account to log into from what is listed on the left side of the screen. When I select an account, the user name is fixed and I can only enter the password.

Do you know of a way around it? Or do I have to create a domain just to get the option to enter the username for log on myself?