File Type associations - Using GPO keeps tripping file associations back to Persistenthandler.

Copper Contributor

I've found an annoying one over the last week. 

The company I work for are in the middle of migrating from one platform to another, and we are doing an Adobe DC rollout in the middle. 

We seem to have an issue since making the "defaultapps.xml" file the source of file type associations information, that upon login, FTA's become "unfixed" forcing userchoice. 

Looking through, this seems to be a mismatch somewhere, and means that the userchoice progid/hash are considered false. If that happens, the persistenthandler  at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{B801CA65-A1FC-11D0-85AD-444553540000}\ProgID

takes control for the user. 

Only issue is, that handler can be set by ANY install, and we have found instances where the default resets to chrome, edge, etc depending on when they were installed. 

At moment I am contemplating pushing for the rollout of DC being sped up, as it will fix that persistenthandler. but WHY does the persistent handler NOT match that set in the default apps configuration on GPO, Surely IF theres an issue, it should use the .xml as it's end configuration, Not elsewhere which is software configurable?

1 Reply
There's a lot to unpack here, but it should be handled by support. Are you able to open a support ticket?