Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe closes right after launch

Copper Contributor

Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe closes right after launch.  I have Windows 11 Beta 21H2 OS Build 22000.194 and I wanted to upgrade to the final release Windows 11.  Windows Update says I'm up to date with the 21H2, so Microsoft support recommended I just download the Windows11installationAssistant.  I downloaded, but it doesn't work.  How do I get the released version?

13 Replies
You may download the latest installer file from:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
If it didn't work, you may create a bootable installation media and boot from DVD or USB.
Hello
I have a question, can you switch in the program settings to RP?
Have you deregistered from the Insider program?

@A1 

Yes, I have deregistered from the Insider program as best I can tell.  I'm not sure what "switch in the program settings to RP" actually means.

@mlepo 

If you have deregistered, it remains to perform a clean installation of Windows10 it may be the most secure for you, and then using the update assistant to install Windows11.

If you already have experience - you can immediately perform a clean installation of Windows11

, but remember that both solutions will delete all personal files.

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Explanation for abbreviation (RP)
Release Preview Channel
In the Release Preview Channel, Insiders and IT professionals get the upcoming version of Windows before it's released to the world, with advanced quality updates and certain key features.

@A1 

I really want to avoid having to do a clean install of Windows 11.  I want to keep all of the apps and data I have now.  I just don't get why Windows Update is not giving the opportunity to just update to the final Windows 11 release.  It seems stuck on Windows 11 21H2 22000.194.  Shouldn't this Beta version of Windows 11 offer to just update to the final Windows 11 release?

As for my current insider status, I don't see a watermark at the bottom right corner of my windows 11 desktop, which apparently is the indicator it's an insider edition.  However, my understanding is that 21H2 22000, is an insider edition, so why no watermark?

When I enter the settings->windows update->Windows Insider Program, it says at the top that "Your device is set to get Insider Preview builds."  However, I remember removing my account from the insider program.  Is it possible that my account is no longer in the insider program, but my device still is somehow?  How do I check the specific device?

Unregistering does not remove the already installed version, it is needed so that you do not receive automatic configuration of the Insider program after installing the stable version of Windows.
Update Windows - will not offer a stable version because it is a different programming branch and currently there is no such option.

that linked thread seems to suggest that if you have the insider edition, then you're screwed if want to revert to released edition without a full install. Unfortunately, running the Windows11InstallationAssitant.exe for me does NOT work, because it crashes right after I try to launch it. Any idea how I get that to work?

It is not possible for the Update Assistant to work in your version of the Insider Program.
I showed such problems much earlier, but no one has provided another solution - unfortunately
So if I create a USB thumbdrive installer, can I install/upgrade to the released version of Windows 11 and keep my programs and data? Or does it have to be a fresh install? If it has to be a fresh install, will it then activate?

Hi I am trying to get windows to boot or start up. I am working out of CMP it is the only thing that Advanced options will give me. Thank you.

Ps I took this windows11installationAssistant and put it on my external hard drive hope that was ok.