Windows update is always failing with error code 0x80070643 and Defender stopped working after this

Copper Contributor

I received a suggestion to download -

"Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.18.2105.3)"

and I updated it through Windows Update platform. But it resulted in -

"Status: Download error 0x80070643"

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070643)

After this my Microsoft Defender Antivirus Threat service is stopped and not working ever since (restarting the service results in error also).

Please help!

11 Replies

Hello @imanojpatel

Please run Windows Update troubleshooter from Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. See if it works.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Close Command Prompt and see if Windows Updates works then.

Let us know if this helps!

Hello. Reinstalled Windows from scratch and having same issue with defender ie. versions 4.18.2105.5 and 4.18.2001.10 will not download with error code 0x80070643.
I ran the above commands that start and restart various services but to no avail. Getting same error

Hi @Kapil Arya

I tried the steps suggested by you and also performed the well known basic update troubleshooting actions but nothing ever worked out. 

Jainam_Chheda03_0-1634381916727.png

This is what i keep getting always. I'm facing this issue right from 30th April 2021.

I also tried to install the update manually through MS update catalog, but that too didn't worked out...!!!

I've tried all the 15 steps. But none of them worked out :( ! :grinning_face_with_sweat:

@Jainam_Chheda03 Hi

If you are in the insider program, please analyze the execution of a clean installation of Windows - but everything will be removed please make copies of your personal files:

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Sometimes an in-place upgrade helps, but it doesn't always work.

Hi @A1

Nope I am not in Windows Insider Program. 

@Jainam_Chheda03 

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

After downloading the tools for creating media, you can follow the steps that I suggested earlier :)

My error is solved now. I upgraded to win 10 21h2 from 21h1. Thanks for your suggestions @A1 !!!