Windows Defender not working due to malware

Copper Contributor

I can't even open Windows Defender in my Windows 11.  A few days ago, I installed a few programs, and I'm guessing one of them contained malware.  My computer is acting goofy sometimes.  Please help me.  Avast in my computer says this occasionally in a pop-up window, which I am copying here verbatim:

"We've safely aborted connection on chekfast.zennolab.com because it was infected with URL:Blacklist.

"Threat name: URL:Blacklist

"URL: http://chekfast.zennolab.com/proxy.php 

"Process: C:/Program Files (x86)\Bright VPN\net_updater32.exe

"Detected by: Web Shield

"Status: Connection aborted"

10 Replies
Hello,
Try to download a third-party Anti-virus client or tools to clean up. You find a good one from Kaspersky website with a free tool.
In case you have installed the Avast Anti-Malware, it will disable Windows Defender and you have to uninstall Avast to be able to use Windows Defender.
In case you have Avast, try update it and run a full system scan and let us know about the result.
Kaspersky is Russian-state malware.
Thanks. After I posted my message, I actually did some research elsewhere to figure out that Avast disables Windows Defender. The way it was doing it was puzzling me, but, now that I know, that just means Windows Defender isn't a problem. But, my computer is acting weird in other ways. When I plug in a second monitor or change resolutions up to or down from 4K, the screen flickers for about a minute or two, rendering it inoperative during that time. I've gone into Avast to do scans of the entire computer and all connected drives with sensitivity set to high a few times, and I've done boot-time scans on high sensitivity a few times, also. My Avast logged a quarantine of a threat called "VBS:Gamaredon-CM [Apt]" in the location C:\Users\arthu\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\rw2jz9wz.default-release\prefs.js on March 22, which may be the time the problem started happening, but I'm not sure, and the error message I get that I cited in my original message has happened a few times since that date. I normally use Firefox. I don't know what my computer is doing trying to access a black website unprompted, but I've gotten the Avast message preventing the connection at least twice. Any thoughts?

@arthurblenheim 

A few days ago, I installed a few programs, and I'm guessing one of them contained malware. 

And have you uninstalled these apps?

Does the problem still occur after uninstalling?

very often applications implement additional plugins - to track the user,

during installation you agreed to everything.

I've installed a few programs. I'll try to list them here:
WinMount V3.5.1018
Daemon Tools Lite
Bright VPN
TunesKit Audio Capture
Syncios Data Transfer 3.3.2

Syncios Mobile Manager 7.0.6

Syncios Toolkit 1.1.0

ExpressVPN

Rise of Legends, a Microsoft game from 2006

What's Pulse Application Launcher?

I tried to find a CD mounting program so that I could use Rise of Legends without inserting the CD for the game.

@arthurblenheim 

It's hard to say [ But the oldest use outdated security }
I would definitely remove this:

TunesKit Audio Capture

Rise of Legends, a Microsoft game from 2006

Syncios Data Transfer 3.3.2

Syncios Mobile Manager 7.0.6

Syncios Toolkit 1.1.0

Okay, so what's Pulse Application Launcher? I have no idea. Is it important? I don't think it's the problem I'm having, but I could be wrong.