Windows 11 Update - Restarting and Reverting the seconds Install Starts ( Error 0x8007000d)

Copper Contributor

I am in the Beta Channel and today Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.100 (co_release)I clicked install.

Everything looks like it is going fine until the system restarts into the true installer mode.

I see install progress messages for a split second and it restarts again into the Reverting Changes mode.

Then in Windows the Windows Update shows Error 0x8007000d

This is a gaming PC with ASUS guts and some overclocking software...  Any obvious fixes?

UPDATE: RESOLVED - It was my Fuzedrive(Not an OS drive - Used for Large tiered Game Storage) setting off a SAFE_OS check... Unplugging Non-OS Disks allowed the update to install. Plugging them back in after Install and Restart all their data and functionality is still good

3 Replies

@DanielF823  I had a similar issue not long ago, not with Win 11 but the Win 10 monthly Cumulative Updates. They would always go into reverting changes mode at around 9% and error with 0x8007000d I had to go into safe mode to actual successfully install the updates. Just today I found out that my bluetooth had messed up and i didnt know until i went into the devices tab which kept on resetting itself. After fixing that issue ( by unplugging the pc from the mains for 15 mins) updates once again worked properly.

Not sure if theres somethin similar going on with your machine but worth a look.

Still having the issue - But now that I have 2 hands I can give a bit more info:

I will run Windows Update

Update and Restart

It will do 1-100% in getting Things ready

It will restart into the Windows 11 Installer and almost instantly restart again

Reverting changes made to your OS

I have seen people in the past where they had to uninstall their Soundcard Software or some odd version of Flash Player or run some other Driver cleanup utility... I really hope I can get some insight

Another point is that the following things only took 3 minutes or less on previous systems I have seen these take over 20 minutes even on fast systems - My Windows is on an NVMe SSD though:
sfc /scannow - < 2 minutes 1 error the first time and none since
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - < 3 minutes