SOLVED

Windows 11 Update Error 0x80004005

Copper Contributor

I am on the Insider "Canary" channel. Windows 11 Insider Preview 25982.1000 is the last  release that Successfully installed on ‎26/‎10/‎2023. The next release Windows 11 Insider Preview 25992.1000 always fails at 35% installed with Failed to install on ‎11/‎11/‎2023 - 0x80004005  I have been trying since that date but it always fails in the same manner. All the other updates such as security and NET Framework all install OK.  I have run an Update test - OK and a BITS test. The BITS test always says some security issues but says it fixed them. I have also noticed that an elevated command prompt does not work - the window comes up and I can type in a command, for example " Restore Health" but even a typed "exit" does not close the window. Can anyone Please give me a hint as to how to troubleshoot? Since then I have downloaded the Windows 11 Insider Preview 25992.1000 ISO, mounted it and tried to complete an upgrade/repair. I have to abort this because it says that I can't keep my aps, because the pc language is different to that of the repair ISO. My pc language is set to English UK, and underneath seems to be English American. When I downloaded the Windows 11 Insider Preview 25992.1000 ISO, the only two language choices were English International or English American, I chose English International. How do I resolve thei problem so that I may keep my Aps and data doing a upgrade/repair ?

3 Replies
Build 25997 is released, see if you can directly update to this newer build.
best response confirmed by charlow (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thanks, Kapil@Kapil Arya 

I see that it fixes 

• Fixed an issue causing some Insiders to see the latest builds unexpectedly fail to install with 0x80004005.

I'm already updating and willpost back the result !

Yes, the latest Build 25997 was offered and downloaded over night OK.
Looks like my problem was a common one, thanks !
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by charlow (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thanks, Kapil@Kapil Arya 

I see that it fixes 

• Fixed an issue causing some Insiders to see the latest builds unexpectedly fail to install with 0x80004005.

I'm already updating and willpost back the result !

View solution in original post