Windows 11 not refreshing

Copper Contributor

Recently I installed Windows 11 and hence then my windows doesn't refresh automatically. Every time I have to refresh manually to see any chances both in desktop and in folders.

Tried everything found in the net. Nothing working.

I run windows update, does some tweaks in the registry, run certain commands in the command prompt... nothing working.

Please help.

3 Replies
I understand the frustration of your Windows 11 not refreshing automatically. Let's try some additional troubleshooting steps:

Restart Windows Explorer: This can often resolve temporary glitches. Right-click the Start button and select Task Manager. Find "Windows Explorer" under Processes, right-click it, and select "Restart."

Reset Folder Views: Corrupted folder view settings might be causing issues. Open File Explorer, click the three dots in the top right corner, and select "Options." In the View tab, click "Reset Folders" and confirm.

Check Background Refresh: A registry setting might be disabled. Press Win+R, type regedit (be cautious editing the registry), and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Background\Refresh. In the right pane, double-click "Enabled" and set the value data to "1" (if it's not already).

Disable OneDrive Desktop Syncing: In some cases, OneDrive syncing can interfere with refresh. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the taskbar (if visible) or system tray, select "Settings" > "Settings" again, and uncheck the box for "Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows."

If none of these solutions work, consider:

System File Checker (SFC) Scan: This can repair corrupt system files. Open Command Prompt as administrator, type sfc /scannow, and press Enter.
DISM Scan: If SFC doesn't fix it, a DISM scan can address broader system image issues. Open Command Prompt as administrator, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, and press Enter (this can take time).
Remember to restart your computer after making any changes.
Sometimes, other software can interfere with Windows' auto-refresh feature. Try closing all unnecessary programs and background applications.
Since you already tried common solutions and issue still persists, try performing repair upgrade using this community guide:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-repair-upgrade-in-windows-11/80...