SOLVED

Windows 11 multi monitor taskbar not working properly

Iron Contributor

The Windows 11 multi monitor taskbar is not working properly. The taskbar is visible on the secondary monitors but seems to have little functionality or is "broken". Tested this on multiple systems.

If using: "When using multiple displays, show my taskbar apps on" has no effect with any setting.

114 Replies
Same issue here. No access to apps on the second/third taskbar, despite settings changes.

@PeteGomersall I am facing the same trouble. (Dev channel mode version)

Got an Update Today. 22000.65
TaskBar is Working Fine on second Display!

@rana2hin the taskbar will not unhide itself on another monitor if you have hide the task bar on so it isn't fixed completely yet

I agree with you, Windows 11 is supposed to bring new improvements and not limitations. I wonder if Microsoft's own software engineers do not find this annoying?

I got around this by turning off the "automatically hide the taskbar" setting.  not a great fix but got it on all screens now.

yea same problem

@PhilSmith5 Unfortunately, it was never fixed for the global release. Glad to see this issue reported months ago and nothing was done about it!

Found a fix on the official release: Simply unpin any app on the taskbar, and/or re-pin it. Taskbar auto-hide works after that.

*EDIT* There's a catch: This has to be done every time either Windows is booted, or Windows Explorer is restarted. Meaning, this is still a glitch Microsoft needs to fix, which is apparently resolved in build 22000.449.

Confirming the issue here as well! Taskbar disappeared! Had to reset.
Not really. This taskbar problem still exists even in the final release version. If you plug the second display, via HDMI, after windows on, then the icon of currently opened apps not showing properly in in the taskbar on the second display. So, the second display must be plugged before the windows is started

I am confirming this issue still exists as of 10/8

Not gonna lie.. I am pretty disappointed with the OS after all the hype.

Same issue confirmed, @PeteGomersall 

Did u find a solution? Fresh install with official Microsoft Media Creation Tool October 09, 2021 system up-to-date 

Search button and Windows button search function are not working in 2nd monitor, and even no responsive on the main screen, this bug is a deal breaker. I already try to restart the search service, no luck

@Nikyxj 

Well, the bug is present in the final revision of windows 11.

@jwindberg 

Here is a work around in the form of a bat file you can put in your startup folder

"copy %userprofile%\shortcut.name" "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"
ping -n w 5000 1.1.1.1 >nul
Del "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\shortcut.name"

it pins something to task bar, waits 5 seconds and unpins it, which kick starts the taskbar responding to the mouse on screen to

Or you can just point mouse at bottom of screen and right click and it will pop up as well

@Wiesshund 

"copy %userprofile%\shortcut.name" "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar"
ping -n w 5000 1.1.1.1 >nul
Del "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\shortcut.name"
The script doesn't have a desired effect in my case.
However, right-clicking works so I wanted to thank you for the tip! The non-unhiding taskbar started driving me crazy.

@Vorta 

Yea i dont think they have addressed it yet, but they did seem to fix the issue where explorer would spaz and windows would start to drag slow, which had a side effect of not being able to click on things properly, i had a script to restart explorer.exe to dodge around that when it happened, i will have to see how that goes

Taskbar maybe next update, we can hope

I have the same issue as well.  Some other notes:

1. When I use "Autohide Taskbar" and try to "unhide" the taskbar on the 2nd/3rd monitors by scrolling to the bottom of the screen, it does not unhide the taskbar.  It only works on the main screen. 

2. The date, time, and additional icons do not appear on the 2nd/3rd monitor taskbars. 

@PeteGomersall