SOLVED

Windows 11 Dev build Missing Taskbar

Copper Contributor

This has been happening the last month or so. Whenever I turn on my pc the taskbar does not show, I do not have access to the start menu, Windows Update, Windows Defender or my display settings. Im only running one monitor and I get the message "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action..." Im at a loss of what to do. I've been searching and only found one other person with the same issue as me and no fix mentioned. I've killed explorer.exe and restarted it and that sometimes fixes it. 

I'm currently on the latest dev build of win 11 and all of my drivers are up to date.

My PC specs:

MSI Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen 3600

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3 Ultra

Triden z 16gb

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

94 Replies
I was able to fix it on mine but had to roll back to earlier date by using the restore app in systems32 folder.

The following seems to be the best working method right now:
1. Open task manager with CTRL + Shift + ESC or CTRL + ALT + DEL -> Task manager
2. From task manager, go to File > Run New Task
3. In the new box, type, "Control" then press "Ok"
4. In the control panel, under "Programs", click "Uninstall a program".
5. Of the left sidebar, click "View installed updates", then choose any updates that start with "KB500" or "22000". Uninstall each one, then restart. (You might be forced to restart after uninstalling each update, in that case you might have to repeat steps 1-5 again to get into control panel and uninstall the next update)

You should at least have most operations available at this point. If control panel refuses to open during the above steps, follow the steps below, then retry the steps above.

To only get the taskbar back without rolling back updates:
1. Open task manager with CTRL + Shift + ESC or CTRL + ALT + DEL -> Task manager
2. From task manager, go to File > Run New Task
3. In the new box, type, "Control" then press "Ok"
4. In the control panel, navigate to "Clock and Region" > "Set the time and date" > "Change date and time..."
5. Use the calendar layout to select tomorrow's date, then press "Ok", then "Apply", then "Ok".
6. Press Win + L to return to the lock screen, then sign back into your account.
7. You should have your taskbar back at the bottom of the screen. If not, try restarting.

Now that you have the taskbar and explorer back, you can try different recovery methods unhindered (For the most part).

This is all brand new, and some of these steps might not work at all for you. Reply back if something doesn't work or if you find a better way! We are making incredible progress together y'all.

I would also make a couple system restore sessions. I updated my gpu last night before going to bed and it did the samething to where I had to restore again. After that, I made 3 more system restore dates to cover myself

Thanks! Uninstalling only yielded the update was right back? Changing the date brought the task bar back and easier ability to navigate through this issue!@Pick1ehead 

Yes, uninstalling the updates just rolls them back. However, I would highly recommend trying Microsoft's solution first. I reinstalled the problem updates again just to try it and their solution is the best. Everything is working perfectly and I have the newer features. Here's the step by step:

Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
Step 5: Paste the following (everything in bold):
reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.
Yeah this wouldn't run for me so I got into regedit myself and deleted it manually.(be sure to create a backup)
ill just reinstall windows 11 and i hope that works cuz half on my apps are broken
Beta is forbidden. ISO says you need to be an insider member.

@Pick1ehead  Thank you soo much for the help. I was working on an assignment on my pc and next day it just showed up with an empty task bar and all data gone. I tried out the first method you've mentioned and it worked like a miracle. Thanks again :') 

Nope didn't work
Didn't work file not found
Didn't work
Any suggestions if that doesn't exist?

@Pick1ehead when I tried to  download the update it had nothing there I think I didn't have the update