When Windows 11 will support 7gen i7-7500U intel processcor

Brass Contributor

Hii everyone

I have aroud 4 years old computer(running Windows10) that has the i7-7500U intel CPU.
I checked with the "PC health check" app, and the only missing requirment update to windows 11 is the proccessor.

Does Micorsoft will update the Windows11 to support this CPU also?

thank you very much for helping!

108 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I have the same question as @Eyal_Elboim .
I have intel i7-7500U, 16GB RAM, TPM 2.0 enabled and Secure Boot support.

When will we be able to upgrade to windows 11?
Why series 7 processors are not supported?

Appreciate any help!!

Thank you, :)

AFAIK, the list of supported processors is almost final. However, I highly recommend you to report this via Feedback hub.
Same problem for me

Same problem here. Unbelievable, it supports a Celeron but not an i7 processor?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-inte...

@Gonzalo76 

it is support "Atom" processors. this is insane.

the web page that MS sends you to to check processors

Windows Processor Requirements | Microsoft Docs

now shows i7 7500u as upgradable but the PC health check says this  Processor is not  supported

@hsnaydn 

Same here! I do not understand Microsoft's unwillingness to support 7th Gen processors which are fully capable of running Windows 11.

Same here. This is a premium Lenovo X1 Carbon still within (extended) Lenovo warranty for another year - Would be hard to believe if this goes unsupported.

I'm the same with Dell laptop using the i7-7500u, thought I had future proofed when I bought this one. Seems like a waste of money if it doesn't get the upgrade. Maybe we need to complain enquire to manufacturers?

@Eyal_Elboim 

The answer is going to be maybe but officially no in the long term look at how they are going to end Windows 10 support in 2025 that give you a clue to where manufactures and Microsoft is heading.

Microsoft is wanting to end users to upgrade to new systems so they can unlock the features of chipset on the motherboards for their operating systems.

This is why they have hard requirement for TPM feature as well for security and support of new hardware that coming.

Also they are moving away from the old 32 bit support if you look at what they are preparing for the future is going to be 64 bit and possible home user will eventfully be on Operating system that only supports 128 bit operating systems while business will move to 256 bit operating system for security, speed and reliability.

Older Cpu though they support 64 bit they still relie upon the old 32 bit system i suspect future motherboard designs will only use the UEFI and will only support 64 bit and up as so they can ensure security and unlock the potentials of computing.

So i would suggest saving your money and do not waste your time on putting windows 11 on your current system buy new one use the older one for your older software,

eventfully we will all need to buy new motherboards and chipsets that coming.

@Darkmenance 

Also they are moving away from the old 32 bit support if you look at what they are preparing for the future is going to be 64 bit and possible home user will eventfully be on Operating system that only supports 128 bit operating systems while business will move to 256 bit operating system for security, speed and reliability.

I work with C++ at the CPU level, multi-threading, memory management, etc. I can definitely tell you that there is not going to be a 128-bit CPU for general computing in our lifetime. I suggest you take a look at this or this answer on Reddit, it explains it quite nicely. There are sometimes need to do computations in 128-bit (highly accurate scientific calculations) but there are special hardware and software built for that and they use 64-bit instruction set to emulate 128-bit instruction set.

Also, 8th and newer gen Intel processors, which are supported by Microsoft for update to Windows 11, is similar in architecture as 7th gen Intel processors. Both use 64-bit instruction set and both can easily emulate 32-bit instruction set. So, if Windows 11 can be supported on an 8th gen Intel processor for the foreseeable future then it can also be supported on 7th gen Intel processor.

The main change between 7th gen and 8th gen Intel processors is that in 7th gen most of the i5 and i7 processors had only 2 cores while in 8th gen they had 4 cores. This definitely affects performance big time, I used to use 7th gen i5 for work for a few years now and it was a pain in the a**. I think it's because of this reason that Microsoft might exclude 7th gen processors (except for a few which are in Surface Studio 2). But this also doesn't make much of a sense when you look deeper, since processors like Intel® Pentium® Gold 6500Y and Intel® Core™ i3-10100Y Processor are 2 core processors and have much lower TDP than 7th gen U series processors but they are still supported for Windows 11. I guess Microsoft is going the Apply way and taking seemingly unjustified decisions just to force consumers to buy new products.

@Eyal_Elboim 

If anyone is interested, there is a way to make Windows ignore just the CPU generation check. Follow How to Install Windows 11 on an Unsupported PC  on howtogeek.com and scroll down to "Registry Hack for Unsupported CPUs and/or Only TPM 1.2" to see a registry hack to make Windows allow upgrade to Windows 11 with unsupported CPU. This will only make it skip the CPU generation check (or accept TPM 1.2 instead of TPM 2.0). The Windows 11 installer also checks for CPU speed and number of cores in addition to checking the CPU generation, but since the i7-7500U satisfies minimum requirements for CPU speed and number of cores for Windows 11, this check will not be a problem.

i m stuck in same situation but i think it will support in future bcoz the message says that "currently not available" so soon might it be may be November.

@Eyal_Elboim 

The appropriate response will be perhaps however authoritatively no in the drawn out check out how they will end Windows 10 help in 2025 that provide you some insight into where fabricates and Microsoft is going.

Microsoft is needing to end clients to move up to new frameworks so they can open the components of chipset on the motherboards for their working frameworks.

This is the reason they have hard prerequisite for TPM include too for security and backing of new equipment that coming.

same problem here, hope ms add 7500u to support list in future