Transparent Box Above The Task Bar

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have been getting a transparent box above my task bar. Which makes that region unclickable. I am unable to find any solutions related to the same online and have tried various self diagnosis and the only way to get rid of it is to either restart the system or to log out and log back in. I have started facing this issue about two weeks back. It would be great if someone could help me out here. I am providing a few details which may help.

Windows 11 Pro Insider. Build 22504.rs_prerelease.211112-1650

sahil3343_0-1637638348080.png

22 Replies

That box is expected to appear when you hover over search icon. There are several options present with it then. I suggest to click Search icon, see if it goes away. Else, you can refer this video fix:

If issue still persists, drop a feedback to Microsoft using Feedback hub app.

*This reply was updated to make sure it is valid for readers.

@Kapil Arya Thanks for the reply. It is permanent and doesn't go away unless I restart the system. I will surely drop the feedback.

@sahil3343 thanks for uncovering this somewhere. I was going mad. I just through taskbar settings and disabled search button so i never press it again. hopefully they fix it soon, it's irritating.

Start the Task Manager and look for a process named "Search" with an orange icon. Open up the process group. If there is more than one "Search" sub-process kill the bottom one. If the window doesn't disappear kill any "Search" sub-process.
thank you so much!! i just ended the tasks for all search things and yeah it went away :)
Thanks, creplogle. Your suggestion worked perfectly!
Another workaround until this is fixed that works for me is to turn off transparency effects in the windows settings.

Thank GOD :hearteyes: This is actually working perfectly.

Thank You :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

I actually just had this problem!! It was driving me nuts. My friend who does IT told me it was malware so I did a couple different scans and couldn't find any malware or virus. Finally I did an update on windows 11 and the box went away!!! I'm hoping it doesn't come back because I couldn't click on anything underneath it and it was in the way. I hope this helps.

I forgot to add in after the update the computer had to restart. after the restart it was gone.

@sahil3343 

You can just restart the explorer process.  Open task manager, expand the process list, and navigate pretty much all the way to the bottom.  You'll see Windows Explorer listed with a yellow folder icon to the left of it.  Right click that process.  Select "restart" from the top of the menu.

@Mark409 

Thanks for the easy fix. 

Open the Task Bar (ctrl, alt, del - task bar)
then scroll down and find Window's Explorer running
RESTART (right click)

@sahil3343 if you have msi afterburner its the problem, go to task-mananger and look for a process called afterburner searsh or something with two paused options then close the process.

Dear @sahil3343 go to Task manager and find Windows Explorer there and restart it. And the problem will be going to fix. 

Thank you so much!!!
You gave me a great relief.

Thank you! Crazy that it has been a couple of months and they haven't fixed it yet.

This worked, thank you.

@tiffanyvasta1987  Glad to hear that! Yeah, the latest update is working for many users! But still, some users are receiving the same bug. I hope they will find the solution from the video.