Start Menu Not Opening - Windows 11 Dev

Brass Contributor

My start menu isn't working. I've tried restarting the computer, restarting windows explorer and checking my disk for errors but nothing seems to work. 

When hover over it, a tooltip pops up that says 'start'. When I push the windows key on the keyboard, sometimes it will act like it is opening (I see a screen pop up that is the same color as my toolbar) but it immediately goes away and seems to crash windows explorer as my icons disappear for a minute or so. 

It seems that everything else works so far, any idea what it could be or how to fix?

Specs below:

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Update 21H2
Installed on ‎7/‎1/‎2021
OS build 22000.65

75 Replies
Translation:
"The following helped me:
Uninstall update KB5004300. Restart, Win 11 taskbar is present, but still in Win 10 style. Update now and install KB5004300. Then everything works:grinning_face:
Greetings from Germany"
Try is WORKS!! Thanks @ralle49

@ralle49 

Hallo Ralle (Ralf?)

Perfekt, funktioniert. Danke :happyface:

(Perfect, works. Thanks :xd:)

After upgrading to win 11, i found, that start menu and some other popups (such as account management, sounds etc) don't work (no reaction on click, some reaction on right button). I rollback to win10, wait to the next version (132), install it and found the same problems.

In my case solution was:

1) Signing up with local account (in my case windows make local account)

2) Restart, login with local account (start menu still don't work), microsoft account not signed

3) Making new local account (Administrator)

4) Restart, login with new local account (start menu work, but desktop clear)

5) Restart, login with old account

6) Copy AppData, desktop, documents, etc from old local account to the new one. overwrite all 

7) Restart, login with new local account. All works fine, all data and preferences transferred  (except putty and winscp settings)

8) Sign up microsoft account, restart, login with microsoft account

9) Remove old local account

Wow, a lot of steps. There has to be a better way! Thank you for posting.
Still not working for me. I am unable to access start menu at all.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎7/‎1/‎2021
OS build 22000.132

@-tronix- 

it takes about 30 min (my profile is about 40GB. And my system disk is fast nvme)

Can confirm this solution works, although in my case I had to do it in Windows 10, before upgrading, because I couldn't make it work in Windows11 due to bugged menus.

Probably has to do with a somehow corrupted local account. Still very annoying, some settings are not transferred and had to be reapplied by hand

@Alexandr_Ananchenko 

That's a lot. I think I'd do a restore first.

How do i install that @tronix please help with the steps

@-tronix- me too. my quick setting is not work just like your problem

@-tronix-  How can i uninstall the last update if i have no start menu? in my case I cant use windows key commands to access any settings.

Same issue , do you have a solution to rollback to windows 10 without accessing start menu?
start menu opr task bar not working afte update, tried reversing update, damage remained... start menu still not working nor task bar

@jorgeacostaj 

Ctrl shift esc to open task manager. Then file - run new task - control

Go into control panel and change the date to one day ahead can fixed the problem.

Ctrl shift esc to open task manager. Then file - run new task - control

Go into control panel and change the date to one day ahead can fixed the problem.
May i know wt u did to make it work? Bcoz i m facing the same issue
Wow, this really works!

@-tronix- you solved it ? i faced the problem today ? what to do? start menu not working and takbar is just running while pointing with mouse . any help?

it didnt work bro i reversed the update / uninstall previous update abd change date one day ahead but didnt work , still unaccessible task bar / task bar doesnot show up , setting doesnot exist while accessing , menu not accessible , any help?