Shell Infrastructure Host has been having High CPU usage for 10 hours straight and still going

MVP

Shell Infrastructure Host has been having High CPU usage for 10 hours straight and still going on Windows 10 insider fast ring build 19852

I7 7700K CPU and 16GB RAM. I let it be like this for hours and the fan speed is at full, attached a 173MB dump file created from Task Manager

fsdfds.png

I think restarting will fix it but before doing that, I wanted to let it run and see if it gets fixed on its own and send feedback on Feedback hub app:

https://aka.ms/AA7rya1

6 Replies

@HotCakeX 

I had the exact same issue and it was extremely annoying because my powerful computer was being slowed down heavily by this annoyance. It caused games to have poor frame rates and even dragging files around on my desktop made the animation of them being moved look not as smooth.

Anyway, after a lot of testing and research, it's caused by the Windows Photo program. To fix it you need to remove the program. The easiest method is you use the OOAPB tool found here. Virus Total scan it and run it in Windows Sandbox if you're weary about running it (like I was). Feel free to remove all the other bloat and rubbish that Microsoft includes as well.

As for a replacement photo program to view images, you can just use the Paint 3D program that Windows 10 comes with or another trick is to re-enable the classic Windows 7 photo viewer. To do that, just Google around because it involves a registry change to re-enable it. Don't forget to set program defaults to whatever replacement photo viewer program you choose.

do we have any fix for that instead a workaround ?

@fcnet This post that I made is from 3 years ago and my issue was fixed years ago, I was using an insider Dev build of Windows which was experimental.

if you are experiencing a similar issue, first make sure you are using the latest version of Windows and then open a new Feedback in Feedback hub app.

a regression may be ?
my OS version is Win 10 22H2 (build 19045.2486) ...

@fcnet 

Hi, I have the same build on several computers , it was downloaded yesterday , with one I had a problem - I did a few reboots and cleared the cache and everything works :)