Recent Windows 11 Insider Update & GPU Driver Update Issues

Copper Contributor

On the night of 9.1.22 I updated my Windows 11 to "Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Insider Preview (10.0.22622.590) (KB5017846)". The morning of 9.2.22 I went to my pc and it was running but there was no active display. The monitors weren't receiving any signal. I turned the pc off and back on with the power button and the pc read it was up to date, however it was no longer able to recognize GPU. I attempted to update my GPU however everytime I tried to update my GPU the screen would go dark grey, and then the monitor would no longer receive a signal indefinitely until I turned off my pc, and then back on. I've been chatting with my GPU maker's support (NVIDIA) and they think it is something with the windows update. I was successfully able to restore to before that update one time. That did not resolve the issues. I am unable to restore to another point previously to that by one hour, and I'm also unable to undo the restore. I uninstalled the Windows 11 update successfully.  I then tried to reinstall the GPU driver, still the same issue. However this time I tried to install the Windows 11 update again and pay close attention to it. I've been able to reproduce this same problem that happens. Upon installing the Windows 11 update it does the same thing the GPU driver update does, part way through the install the screen goes dark dark grey, then black as it stops receiving input, and then it's just stuck there indefinitely. However, differently, the power button does not even turn the pc off. Even after waiting an entire night, it doesn't. I resort to flipping the power switch on the back of the pc. The pc starts up again with the power button, and it says it is up to date, but I'm not sure if that's accurate considering what happened.

1 Reply
I signed up for the windows insider program and when I updated my Nvidia driver the screen went black and I couldn't do anything other than force shutdown. Please let me know if you have figured out a way to fix it!