Opening Windows insider tab from settings reboots system.

Copper Contributor

I linked my account with windows insider program and chose the slow ring and the system reboots which is normal.

But now whenever i open the insider tab in settings my system automatically reboots.

23 Replies
Hi,
which version of Windows 10 were you on before switching to Insider preview builds?
also is there any messages or notifications prior to the restarts?

@pratimmandal same problem here, 

Windows version 18363.476.

It also started restarting by itself without warnings, quite bad really.

//cc @HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX 

Same problem here. No message before the restarts. Clean install of Windows10 (new laptop). Currently running 18363. Every time I click the insider tab in update settings it jumps directly to a restart.

That is so strange!

@pratimmandalI have the same issue, and have yet to find a solution. Anyone out there know how to address this?

@evkenykI've encountered the same problem on that very build. Really hoping to find a solution soon.

@pratimmandal what you need to do is a cold shutdown of your computer -- so no reboot, just a shutdown. Give it a minute, power it back on, and then you should be able to get in to the Windows Insider program settings without your computer rebooting. It might ask to repair, if it does allow it to and it should resolve the problem. 

Mark this as solved if solved.

It's strange, this is still not added to the list of known issue, even after today's update
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/12/04/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

@HotCakeX what you need to do is a cold shutdown of your computer -- so no reboot, just a shutdown. Give it a minute, power it back on, and then you should be able to get in to the Windows Insider program settings without your computer rebooting. It might ask to repair, if it does allow it to and it should resolve the problem.

@Jeffrey T 

I don't have this problem

@tom79vienna 

what you need to do is a cold shutdown of your computer -- so no reboot, just a shutdown. Give it a minute, power it back on, and then you should be able to get in to the Windows Insider program settings without your computer rebooting. It might ask to repair, if it does allow it to and it should resolve the problem. 

Run SFC /scannow, problem solved.
Did not work for me

I have the same issue, ver 18363.535 on a new Windows 10 laptop.

I would try clean installing Windows 10 from ISO

Same problem here. Brand new laptop updated to 1909 yesterday. I selected the slow ring of the insider program and got the message that the pc needed to be restarted to get the insider builds and after said restart whenever I try to go to the insider tab in settings the computer restarts.

I've tried SFC /scannow and a full shutdown as recommended by other replies to no avail.

EDIT: Found a fix. Just go to the Insider Program settings while not connected to the internet. The tab should display like it is supposed to, then reconnect and it should let you either unlink your account or let you get the preview builds.

@pratimmandal me too.

I did install Windows 10 1909, but when download of drivers start I check to enable Insider Preview. Then Windows restart. Then I continue with download of drivers.

In this case the Insider Preview tab when open reboot the machine.

Now I reinstalling Windows again. But wait for download of all drivers. After this I try enable Insider Preview mode.

EDIT1: Works now! Opened the Insider tab and not rebooting

Confirmed. 

#sfc /scannow does not work.

shutting down does not work

opening Insider's tab while disconnected solves the issue.

(although it's really a walkaround not a fix - most users won't even know how to find this trick - IMO should be reported)

Cheers,

Bwazhei