Old User Account

Copper Contributor

I deleted a old user account call clayt but it keeps coming back in the Users folder with a path of C:\Users\clayt\AppData\Local\Temp, how do I kill it for good?

6 Replies

Hi @claynz,

Here are some steps you can try to delete the account permanently:

1. Press the Windows key and the I key simultaneously to open the Settings app.
  2. Click on Accounts.
  3. Click on Family & other users.
  4. Select the user account you want to delete.
  5. Click on Remove.
  6. Click on Delete account and data.

This should remove the user account and all its associated data from your computer. If the account still appears in the Users folder, you can try deleting it manually by following these steps:

1. Press the Windows key and the R key simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type in lusrmgr.msc and press Enter.
  3. Click on Users in the left pane.
  4. Right-click on the user account you want to delete and select Delete.
  5. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.

Here are some useful links:

How do I completely remove a user account from Windows 10. Only option - Microsoft Community

how to delete a user account from Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

winbuzzer.com
Add or remove accounts on your PC - Microsoft Support

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

I have done all of that but still couldn't find your Family & other users.settings in Accounts

Hi @claynz,

thanks for the update.

If you have already tried the steps provided, and the user account persists, you may want to try the following steps to manually delete the user account:

1. Use Command Prompt:

• Press Win + X and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)" or "PowerShell (Admin)".
    • Type net user clayt /delete and press Enter. This command will delete the user account.
  2. Delete User Profile:

• Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
    • Type sysdm.cpl and press Enter.
    • In the System Properties window, go to the "Advanced" tab.
    • Under the "User Profiles" section, click on "Settings."
    • Select the user account (clayt) and click on "Delete."
  3. Check Registry:

• Press Win + R, type regedit, and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
    • Look for a key with a long SID (Security Identifier) that corresponds to the deleted user account (clayt). Delete that key.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Thanks fior that, I managed to find a entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Fingers crossed it won't come back!!
It's come back again
I'm using the Administrator account if that's any help
If multiple users are accessing the same computer, it’s pretty sure that each one wants to use their preferred setting. This is why most of us create separate sign-in accounts with individual user profile.

Having independent profiles is advantageous until you start experiencing issues with your user account. Sometimes, one of your user profiles may get corrupted and throw errors like ‘User profile cannot be loaded,’ ‘User profile service failed the sign-in,’ etc.

Whatever the scenario, there are just two things you can do – either completely remove the account from your PC or simply delete their user profile to reset it. Indeed, the second one looks much more favorable, and that’s exactly what we will cover in this article.

https://www.tech2geek.net/how-to-properly-delete-a-user-profile-in-windows-3-effective-methods/