Latest Windows 11 Pro Insider Upgrade caused no Start Menu

Copper Contributor

I enjoyed Windows 11 pro for a while.  However, on Nov 5, I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro Insider  Preview Build 22494 Prerelease 211029-1421; then the Start Menu is missing.  

After searching for all websites to learn about fixing the issues.  including running  "reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft....", "DISM /online / cleanup-image /restorehealth", "sfc /scannow'.  Unfortunately, none of those efforts work.

Many of the Window+I, +K, +X , etc. are not working neither

Then I tried to go to settings.  But the error message came back as attached.

SamMN1204_0-1636326930330.png

What can I do to uninstall the latest update to get the computer back to functioning again?

Will highly appreciate the help from the tech community.  Many thanks in advance!

2 Replies

@SamMN1204 

I had this bug around the 3rd or 4th insider preview of W11, and it didn't fix itself until maybe last month. I'm not quite sure what causes it, but a temporary solution for me was to restart explorer until the taskbar came back (i had better luck restarting the explorer process ~10 minutes from boot) . From there, you can open settings with a key combo (in my experience, while the taskbar worked again, the start menu did not, but your results here may vary) and uninstall the updates how you normally would.