How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

Bronze Contributor

How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

1,317 Replies

We need this feature back. Currently, the task bar is a waste of space.

I reverted to Windows 10, too
It seems no one at Microsoft listens to feedback. Obviously there is still no plan to solve this. I installed Win 11 as soon as it was available and promptly reverted back to Win 10 once I got to know that some "genius" at Microsoft decided this feature was not necessary. I'm not installing a third party app to just have this basic feature so I'm never upgrading to Windows 11 until this feature is brought back by tone-deaf Microsoft. The copycat programmers at Microsoft thought of the fashion and not about function.
is microsoft profiting from third party app? :thinking_face:

Hi @Helios8 

" It seems no one at Microsoft listens to feedback "

This is not true!

Microsoft needs feedback, I suggested closing this post because it has a development, but - > received a response that they are still waiting and are interested in user feedback!

Add more popular topics to the new homepage in MTC. for non-logged in users. - Microsoft Community H...

@A1 Are you kidding? There's no need user feedback in restoring a useful function removed without asking! And Microsoft should have learned it with Windows 8 and its ridiculous start menu.

@StefanoEvo 

From what I know -> this function will not be in Windows11 - therefore further opinions will not change anything, certainly there is no explanation of the reasons I wrote about earlier.

Best regards

@A1Do you know that for a fact?

Also, feedback like this thread is the only way MS will listen. Might not be a feature today, but as this thread continues to grow that might change. Closing it makes zero sense.

@A1and that is no surprise as its a needed features as all these threads and comments show.

This thread is longer than the other one you linked to, so that alone would seem to justify keeping this one open so MS can fully appreciate the range and number of comments. I suspect some people like the threads closed so it looks like there is no issue, when clearly there is. If I had a product I would kill for this feedback.

I also take your reply to confirm you don; t know for certain that the feature is not on a backlog somewhere.

I’m thinking of the logic on why they did this....

Firstly if they was a better alternative to windows I would already have joined another competitor.
What this icon thing does, is I have to click the app icon then check the many small windows to see which one to open. It’s can take a few seconds to see if it is the right icon. this is opposed to last time when all the tabs were on the desktop and I could see the name of the window I wanted to open and quickly click the option.

You think opening up multiple tabs (in web browsers) might solve the problem but ppl are used to pop ups coming on their tabs so they usually close the whole window. I also have the habit in opening a new window so not to accidentally close all the information which may be on multiple tabs.  

I do not think it is difficult to fix this. Microsoft doesn’t want to fix this for a reason. To dumb down the function of windows. That’s why copy and paste shortcuts are different(not in a good way) Yet it doesn’t take much for ppl to learn how to use a computer. Microsoft underestimates show adaptable ppl can be. 

@huali1405 

@huali1405 

Why has no one from Microsoft joined this thread.

This is the most puzzling to me. MS sets up this forum, has access to its most valued customers who spend the time to share user needs, then totally ignores the feedback without the grace to even say they are listening. Other companies would treasure this info.
Do they benefit from too much monopoly power? Do they want Google suite to catch up? Puzzling.

@Haird 

" Do they want Google suite to catch up? Puzzling. "

I do not understand how this has to do with Windows11?

Do you want to work on Android?

@ Andrzej1
Because you can move to a chrome book and use all the google tools to replace windows completely. I’m now starting to consider MacOS as well if windows is not going to add basic features. Failure to listen to users will reduce market share and use.

@A1

That's the whole point: if Windows keeps moving towards looking like a tablet OS, it will get destroyed by the well-known competitors. The only reason people stick with Windows is because it is (or used to be) somewhat more optimized for productivity tasks.

Hi @kavahox 

I agree! Windows multitasking -> this gives an advantage in the IT market.

I would really like this discussion to help improve Windows11.

But currently at Insider, there are no implementations that definitely improve productivity!

Best regards

Windows 11: The Optimization and Performance Improvements (microsoft.com)

Do you want to work on Android? you ask. Well if that's what it takes.
I keep on windows because I have certain windows programs that I do not wish to have to replace, but I can keep using them on Win 10 and when security updates finish I can just use a Win 10 computer offline to use those programs. I no longer need business programs.
For online browsing and downloads Android or Windows is much the same.

If we have windows trying to be a tablet, like win 8 (will they never learn) I will choose Android or another Linux OS just to say to MS that they have to listen to customers. I will vote with my wallet,
I have an old Atom laptop that is on XP and struggles on 7, so maybe it is time to fire it up on Linux and see how that goes for me. I have 6 laptops on win 10 and don't meet win 11 standards and they will not be supported in a few years, they are all fast enough for what I do and I will not replace them just because MS dictates I must.
I hope MS watches this thread and sees customer attitudes to their BS.
Many have answered this question for me. Thanks.

The company I work for uses Google Suite and I hate it. It is a lot cheaper than Office 365 but less functional. Windows 11 helps close that gap for Google. I can multitask across tabs in Google suite with one click but cannot do this easily in Windows 11.

Does Microsoft want Google Suite to take share of O365 to diminish what is an 'office software' monopoly? Certainly seems like they are behaving that way. Or is MS just filled with horrific business decision makers? Do these people even know this forum exists?

One more thought, what portion of Intel's poor performance issues are Microsoft related? I want to buy a new computer but am avoiding Windows 11. How many people are not upgrading computers (and not buying processors) because they would be forced to lose productivity?