Tech Community Live: Microsoft Intune
Oct 01 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

How to Install Insider builds on my unsupported laptop?

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to install the Windows Insider builds on my laptop, but it's not officially supported by Microsoft. I've heard that the program is only available for certain devices, and I'm worried that my laptop might not be compatible. Despite this, I'm interested in trying out the new features and updates, but I'm not sure if it's possible to install the Insider builds on my machine.

I've tried searching for answers online, but I haven't found any clear guidance on how to do this. I've also checked the system requirements for the Windows Insider Program, but they don't seem to mention anything about supported hardware. How can I install Insider builds on my unsupported laptop?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Icarly (Copper Contributor)
Solution

If your laptop is not officially supported, you may need to bypass hardware compatibility checks. This can be done by modifying the Windows Registry or using third-party tools. Here's how to modify the registry:

1. Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Windows search bar and pressing Enter.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup.
  3. Right-click on the MoSetup folder, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU.
  4. Double-click the new value and set its data to 1.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Your laptop should start downloading the latest Insider build. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Icarly (Copper Contributor)
Solution

If your laptop is not officially supported, you may need to bypass hardware compatibility checks. This can be done by modifying the Windows Registry or using third-party tools. Here's how to modify the registry:

1. Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in the Windows search bar and pressing Enter.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup.
  3. Right-click on the MoSetup folder, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU.
  4. Double-click the new value and set its data to 1.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Your laptop should start downloading the latest Insider build. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

View solution in original post