How to disable bringing a window to foreground when hovering on the taskbar icon?

Iron Contributor

After my windows insider updated to 25290, when I hover on the icon of an opened app on taskbar, it will be brought to foreground immediately without clicking. This behaviour is VERY ANNOYING to me. How can I disable this?

1 Reply

Here is why I want to disable this behaviour:
1. Before this change, when I hover on the icon of an opened app on taskbar, it shows small preview with an "x". This is very convenient when I just want to close the app. After this change, I have to go through the whole screen to click the "x" on the top right corner of the window.

OxygenDioxide_0-1675842269462.png

2. I'm used to click on the app icon to bring it to foreground. I already have muscle memory for this action. However, after this change, The app is brought to foreground quicker than how I click on the icon, resulting in bringing it to background again. Then I have to click again to bring it back to foreground.

3. Some apps lags when I bring it from background to foreground, but I need it to stay in the background to run some time-consuming task. After this update, I often bring it to foreground by mistake and have to wait until this app responds before I can return to my task before. This experience is annoying.