SOLVED

[FIXED] Anyone else having OneDrive high CPU usage problem after upgrading to build 19564?

MVP

gdgfdg.png

Feedback on Feedback hub app:

https://aka.ms/AA7bbm6

please add more details to it. thank you

Tried restarting my computer 2 times already with 5/6 hours intervals. I let it run like that for hours, hoping it will finish whatever it is doing but nope, it always stays like that.

anyone else having this issue on the same exact build?

37 Replies

Yes of course, the files are on OneDrive on Microsoft servers, just not accessible in Windows Explorer. some of my program data and portable programs are directly on OneDrive, I usually mark those folders to be always available offline whenever I fresh install my Windows.
I apply the same things for my Pictures folder so I can view them on Photos app.

for now I switched back to build 1909 and staying on release preview ring.
I tried going to slow ring first from 1909 but I was getting error.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 - Error 0xc1900404

UPDATE:
this error that i was getting when attempting to install slow ring
"Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 - Error 0xc1900404"

turns out I had a wrong time and time zone set, forgot to correct it after Windows installation. after fixing it, the slow ring from Windows update is downloading now.

only if that error code was more specific :)
I have the exact same problem. It seems pretty common.
Is there a GitHub issue where we can track the fix?
Hmm neither OneDrive nor Windows is open source, so not sure why there would be anything on Github about them :)

@HotCakeX hello, you can delete all the folders inside log.

C:\Users\nomeUtente\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\

it's possible that you must do this everytime you start Windows.

I tried this solution and it works.

Wow, Just tried this and it works. Thanks!!
I'm not using Fast ring anymore, using slow ring now. but that doesn't look like a solution but just a temporary workaround.

it's been 8 days since last fast ring build, it's time for Microsoft to release the next build.
then i will switch back and try it.

@E-pgt 

@E-pgt wrote:
Same here :\

Thanks for letting us now, please add your info using "add similar feedback" button on feedback hub:

https://aka.ms/AA7bbm6

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX @Eddie Leonard @AndrewSienx @jetsk1 @Magnus Broman @dimman24 @tooth1971 @BenC @Matteox @E-pgt 

The problem is solved in the today's Windows insider fast ring build 19569

We fixed an issue resulting in OneDrive not working and using an unexpectedly high amount of CPU for some Insiders on the previous build.

More info: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/02/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

@HotCakeX 

Windows 10 Build 22621 the problem still exists. I have to kill the application everytime. I think it started to appear when my disk is full and also I can't modify anything beacause of this high CPU.

@HotCakeX 

I have Windows 11 22H2 (22621.3007). It's still the same.

Maybe a 3rd party app or driver is causing that problem. You can try resetting your OS from settings and choose to keep files.
It only started to happen when the disk was full. Then my first approach was trying to remove some files but both native on the PC or by the page removal of files finished in errors on page or hung up of the app. After some time I realized that after restart of my laptop first time I open explorer.exe OneDrive takes a lot of CPU. So I always have to stop OneDrive at all. I don't have any other "cleaners" or anything like that installed. Just basic HP software that never made trouble since begining.
In that case I'd first try to take care of the low disk space first. or just move the important files from C drive to another drive, shrink one of non-OS drives, then perform a clean install of Windows 11 using ISO file and flash drive then during the installing process you can resize and give the C drive more space by utilizing the unallocated space. You can probably do it without clean install too.
Hi, actually I meant OneDrive is full. Sorry for not explicitly mentioned that in the first place.