Existing Apps Stopped Working after upgrade to Windows 11

Copper Contributor

I have :-
Edition : Windows 11 Home Single Language 
Version : 21H2 
OS Build : 22000.100

The problem I am facing currently : "Most of my existing apps (non Store Apps) and games have stopped working."

I tried to reinstall those applications and even tried to run with compatibility settings but still no success.

12 Replies
Can you give us some examples or apps not working? I have not had this issue with any of my 3rd party apps, so far. I am on the Beta release:
Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.100
Experience Pack 421.18901.0.3
Apps like Steam,Adobe reader,MS office.They were all working fine in win10 but once I got the win11 upgrade they stopped.
List of apps can be many more , I have just checked these.
Since most of my games I bought on Steam so until steam service won't run they will not as well.
I also have Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.18901.0.3 just in case if this info is useful.
Steam, Reader, Office 365 are all running fine on my system...what are your system specs: Laptop or Desktop, CPU make/model, RAM size, Graphics Card make/model and VRAM size, Hard Drive type and size, HDD, or SSD.
Laptop
i7-9750H
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA 1660Ti 6GB
128MB VRAM
SSD 256GB
HDD 1TB
Anything else on your system, like drive encryption software (Bitlocker, etc). What Antimalware/Antivirus software do you have, and does it have its own Firewall? Looking for anything that might be different on your system that will help to narrow this down.

@davequail

I have Norton Antivirus and yeah it has taken over windows defender firewall.
I even tried to disable firewall , antivirus protection and tried running those apps but still no success.
I tried to restart steam client service from services.msc and I got this error I am adding as attachment.

@myosis What errors do Excel, Word, etc. give? So far, the main difference between systems is Norton...I am running Windows Defender.

Microsoft office apps don't even launch. When I double click them , I get a blue loading circle for a second then nothing happens after that. I guess the problem I am having with Steam , that might be same problem for MS Office apps.
I use virtual box for my VM and it is having similar issue. I tried enabling all Hyper-V processes but they throw same error which was attached in my previous post.
This relates to Windows 10, but the troubleshooting steps may point you in the right direction: https://appuals.com/third-party-apps-stopped-working-after-creators-update/
I managed to run steam when I copied the steam.exe to startup folder but once I closed the steam app (even from background ) and tried launching it again,its unable to start again like previous.
I followed the link you shared but they didn't work.
Looks like it will be fixed only after a major windows update.
Have you tried running as Administrator?
yep.....that's the first thing I tried. Still those apps didn't run.