Error while updating to 22563.1 (ni_release)

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am currently on Win11 Dev build 22543.1000 trying to upgrade to the latest build available 22563.1. (ni_release)

Issue: I had tried updating many times in the past, it used to update and reboot and show the black screen and all, but after it reboots to login screen, when I run winver, I am still on the previous build without the new features... So I googled the situation, and stopped the service wuauserv and bits, then deleted SoftwareDistribution folder and then restarted the services... The folder recreated and I hit update... The update download, installed but same thing happened after reboot, was still on old build.

I then researched and reset all windows components manually using this article: Windows Update - Additional resources - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Docs

I followed all steps using evelated CMD. It all ran except reregistering few BITS files and the Windows Update files. Some of them threw errors and others were successful. I ignored the errors and followed the steps after it... It all ran.. Then I rebooted, and when I tried to recheck for updates, the button does not work... It flickers and says update status unknown with error code 0x80248014 in update history... (pics below)

I have also tried running windows update trouble-shooter

For some reason, in the history it shows the update completed but it did not in the above space...

(I don't have that build still)

I contacted MS support through chat, and gave them remote assistance, but they could not diagnose the issue as they said, "We only handle regular windows builds, not Insider. Please contact the insider forum, Thank you!"

Thus, here I am, asking for help.

I need assistance ASAP. FYI, I have also tried all the articles in google... Also deleted the sotwaredist. folder couple times to get rid of partially downloaded updates... But now I am basically STUCK.

I am also comfortable using command prompt or other consoles/registry...

The system specs and info has also been attached if needed... 

Raghav15_3-1645953086040.pngRaghav15_4-1645953116664.png

Please help me asap. Thank you.

Note: Feel free to ask for other info or screenshots related to the issue.

Raghav15_0-1645952628856.png

Raghav15_2-1645952754317.png

14 Replies

@Raghav15 

Hello, I think that manually fixing this is not possible - I would clean everything and install a clean installation of Windows.
please analyze it and write

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Flight Hub - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22567 | Windows Insider Blog

@A1 I will not be able to reinstall windows as I need my files.

But firstly, the ISO for build 22543.1000 is not available as of now on the insider downloads site... The latest available is 22533.

And even when I try to download the latest available dev ISO, it just says an error has occurred

So I need to fix it manually somehow...

If I am provided with the ISO for my current build - 

Raghav15_0-1645957851619.png

then, I can reinstall the build with files and settings...

I will not be able to clean install though.

And anyhow, the site is currently down for me as of now.

Raghav15_1-1645957964400.png

The FAQ page leads to nothing - We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found (microsoft.com)

Raghav15_2-1645958007405.png

Please help! :(

@Raghav15 

Is your version of Windows (Home) or Windows Pro?

In the screenshot I see ( Home ) ?  please explain this.

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22563 | Windows Insider Blog

53 times there was a failed update - so installing 22533 will allow you to update correctly later - unfortunately the Dev version. it is not a productive version and sometimes it is necessary to remove it.

@Deleted Its home... win11 dev build HOME...

As I said, I cannot remove it.. For some reasons...

@Raghav15 

So this is not a computer managed in an organization - so the use of WSSU was useless.

I would carefully analyze the firewall Microsoft Defender (add allowed applications)

sometimes some processes are blocked by DEFENDER.

Windows Insider

processes like what? Bcos the update button works now, just nothing happen s after I restart

it says undoing changes made in the HP flash screen when booting and then back to old build...

what processes? I don't think it has to do with AV

@Raghav15 

Often, applications installed by the manufacturer - with high privileges block the insider program update - so it is recommended to perform a clean installation of Windows the first time you start the insider program

Here is my app list @ansdrezj1
I don't really think the below applications are causing issues... And if you think something is, please let me know ASAP which one it is. I can uninstall that and then retry...

Raghav15_0-1646056270392.png

Here ^ pls lmk

Also, my windows update works now, but it just starts rerolling during the update... So trying to mess with the softwaredistribution folder and see if it works...
I have the same issue with my Windows 11 Pro V22533 - cannot update to a newer build.
I tried all the above like @Raghav15 tried, nothing helps...
Yes doing a clean install will probably solve it, but then again, what is the point? we are supposed to help Microsoft become better and prevent issues like this to other users in the future...
Maybe Microsoft would like to do some deeper diagnostics?

@Raghav15 

Because this is your computer ->I do not want to suggest which applications - should be uninstalled, but a few of them I would definitely uninstall (their processes are in progress and the update is not able to close the process because the installed application obtained the highest permissions during installation)
First, uninstall the ones you don't need

I am a computer lover, and had already uninstalled the apps I do not need... All the apps that are there are ones that I need @Andrzej1

And feel free to tell which ones to uninstall which you think might be causing issues... The only game in there is krunker client... I uninstalled that and also tried... But that doesn't work...

Suggest what to uninstall Pls

@Raghav15 

My solution to this issue will not be helpful for you...

I actually had a backup of my old SSD with an earlier windows version...

So - I started PC using the older drive, upgraded from the earlier version to 22567, and it updated fine.

then I moved all my user files from "new drive" to "old Drive", checked I have nothing missing, and did a clone disk to the new drive.

I now have a working system...

but it took a lot of time...

I did this because nothing helped...