systemreset.exe command line options

Brass Contributor

I'm doing a lot of testing with Windows autopilot. Is there a method to reset the machine solely from the command line using the systemreset.exe tool? I cannot find any documentation for the switches it supports. My goal it to do a full reset of the device but via a script rather than clicking through the UI options. I ran the sysinternals tools 'strings' against it and I see some options like -factoryreset which do work but I'd like to get a full listing/reference. 

4 Replies

@shockotechcom 

Links:

How to Factory Reset Your Windows 10 PC Using Command Prompt

Factory Reset Windows 10 without user intervention

Open a Command Prompt window.

Type the following command and press Enter:

Copy code

systemreset.exe /?

This will display a list of command-line options supported by systemreset.exe and their brief descriptions.

Keep in mind that the options available may vary depending on the specific version of Windows you are using.

I hope that this information will help you a little further in your project.

I tested 'systemreset.exe /?' but it simply launches the UI tool on Windows 10 21 H2. I'm looking for the full set of options to it.

@shockotechcom 

The systemreset.exe command-line tool is primarily designed to launch the Windows 10 Reset this PC feature through the user interface. To my knowledge, Microsoft does not provide official documentation or a comprehensive list of command-line options for systemreset.exe.

To explore the available options further, you could try using the systemreset.exe tool with additional common command-line switches like /help, /h, /?, or -?. These switches are often used to display help information or command-line options for many Windows tools and utilities.

You can try these switches:

systemreset.exe /help

systemreset.exe /h

systemreset.exe /?

systemreset.exe -?

Running these commands might provide you with more information about the available options for systemreset.exe.

It's important to note that undocumented options might not be officially supported and could behave unexpectedly or change in future Windows updates. Therefore, it's recommended to exercise caution and thoroughly test any commands or options before deploying them in production environments.

One possible approach is to search for Windows forums or communities where users share their experiences and findings related to Windows deployment and automation. Websites like Stack Overflow, Reddit, or Microsoft TechNet forums might have threads discussing the systemreset.exe command-line options or alternative methods for achieving similar results.

Yes I have searched for same across most of the main forums. I may log this to MS Support as I have that option.