How to capture windows xp image?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am a windows experimenter. I recently learnt about audit mode in windows vista+. I started creating my custom editions of windows with all compatible apps/programs installed (NOT for commercial use, just for me). I would install a fresh copy of windows on a VM, press Ctrl+Shift+F3 to boot into audit mode, install programs/updates/hotfixes, run generalized sysprep, and would reboot into a PE to capture the image. Then I'd copy over the wim (or esd) file to my host, drop it in the official iso, and reseal the bootable iso file. I know how to use DISM and ImageX for capturing images. When I came to Windows XP though (i know it is out of support, but still), it apparently had no audit mode. And then when i looked up on the web, I found a few useful articles. Everything went fine until that sysprep shutdown. But I don't remember any windows XP pe out there. I tried Vista PE, but it made a .wim file. I'm pretty familiar with Wim files, but I don't know about windows XP's setup structure. Some articles say I have to somehow reboot into something called WDS, but that feels a little too complicated. Moreover, i think it needs an older WDS version.

SO, can anybody suggest me an (easy) way to capture windows XP? I shall be really grateful. And yes, Please don't treat me as a deployment expert! I feel like a noob in this field.

Thanking you.

1 Reply
At the time of Windows XP, I have used Norton Ghost to deploy the generalized installation of Windows XP over the 300 machines. Norton Ghost was robust tool to clone a disk, backup and restore. As of now, Norton Ghost is no longer available, but you can still find the older version.