Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 03:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Storage Migration Service - Can't open transfer and error logs after migrating data

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

After migrating a drive I'm trying to see which file transfers failed and why but I'm getting this message when trying to open either the transfer log or the errors only log:

Transfer Log - Please check file sharing is allowed in your firewall. : This request operation sent to net.tcp://localhost:28940/sms/service/1/transfer did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00). The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message. Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

My destination server is also the migration server (just migrating one drive) and all required ports were openend automatically, I've also double checked the firewall on the source server.

Anyone have any ideas?

14 Replies

Hi,

If I understand the issue correctly you are migrating a share from a source server to a destination server that also happens to the machine that you are connected to, correct?

You are driving the transfer from the UX and noticed that it failed. Now you want to find out why it failed and so you click on the button to check errors and that gives you the error that you pasted. Correct?

If you have an active repro can you please check if the Storage Migration Service is running on the destination server?

Please collect logs as per https://aka.ms/smslogs and send them to smsfeed@microsoft.com.

Thanks

File and Printer sharing needs to be allowed through the firewall on the Orchestrator host (Host you are managing in Windows Admin Center).

Try adjusting the timeout values on the orchestrator server. If you're migrating a lot of data the default value may be to short.

1. Edit "C:\Windows\SMS\Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.exe.config" and change the sendTimeout from 1 to 10 minutes.

<bindings>

<netTcpBinding>

<binding name="NetTcpBindingSms"

sendTimeout="00:10:00"

2. Add the following registry key to change the WCF client timeout from 1 to 10 minutes as well.

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMSPowershell /v WcfOperationTimeoutInMinutes /t REG_DWORD /d 10

3. Restart the SMS services on the orchestrator server.

@Sudhir_AP 

This solution worked perfectly for me, thank you!
I was able to extract the error logs from the Proxy_Debug.log file using PS:

Select-String "Transfer error for" .\hostname_Proxy_Debug.log | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Line | Out-File .\hostname_Proxy_Debug_Error.log

@chatro9314 

The only account that has full control is the Trusted Installer for me. So it will not allow me to change the config file.

I wonder if this is a new issue. Easy enough to take ownership and change permissions. I just wonder if there is a more appropriate method that may be less of a security issue to achieve this edit. Sad part is the document that is listed with Microsoft doesn't even mention any of this. Is this something new on Server 2019 that was overlooked? Did a patch do this? Who knows, I guess it's time to keep on digging. Let me see how much time I can invest into this before I just blow away the permissions.

i have this issue.  I have just done a transfer of a 1.9 TB drive with just over 2 million files on but have 18 files that have failed and really need to know which ones.  I can download the Transfer log/Migrated users log/Migrated groups log but the Error log fails with the error:

Ensure port TCP/445 (SMB File and Print Sharing) is open on the orchestrator server.  The error was:  [0x8000] Unknown service error.

I have rebooted the Orchestrator server, turned the Windows Defender Firewall off (there is no other firewall), I have increased the NetTcpBindingSms Time out to 10 minutes as others have suggested.  But none of these have worked.  Please could you help me get the log so I can find what the missing 18 files are.

Also when downloading the Transfer log it doesn't appear to have all 2 million files within, it is only showing the files from one of the shares and not all the shares that have been migrated, how do I download all files log?

I am having the same issue and have tried to suggested fix. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I really need to know which files are failing.

@Goldleader80 I'm having this same issue. Did you ever find a solution? Thanks.

Collect the logs as described in aka.ms/smslogs
Then extract the generated file and you will see the transfer logs are contained within. Use your favorite editor/shell to view/manipulate the results.

Additionally, extending the timeout as described should allow it to work with WAC. But failing that, collecting the logs using above manual method and then viewing them should get you the information you want.
Good day,

Same issue here.

OLD file server : 2008R2
NEW file server : 2022

Orchestrator installed on NEW file server.

Initial data transfert worked fairly well with some errors on files.
Unable to download ERRORS log. Other logs are fine.

Collected the logs as described in aka.ms/smslogs. No ERRORS log in the zip generated file.

Took ownership and modified ACL on file Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.exe.config and modified registry using command below :

net stop sms
- takeown /f "C:\Windows\SMS\Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.exe.config" /a && icacls
"C:\Windows\SMS\Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.exe.config" /grant Administrators:f
- reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMSPowershell /v WcfOperationTimeoutInMinutes /t REG_DWORD /d 60
- icacls "C:\Windows\SMS\Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.exe.config" /setowner "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" && icacls
"C:\Windows\SMS\Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.exe.config" /grant:r Administrators:RX
- net start sms

SMS no longer starts with message : The Storage Migration Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by another services or programs.

Have not found anything useful in Event Viewer.

What are my options?

Thank you.
Modified sendTimeout="10:00:00" and "WcfOperationTimeoutInMinutes" to 600 as per https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windowsserverdocs/blob/main/WindowsServerDocs/storage/storage-migra...

SMS service is started. :)

@mchltrgn 

How were you able to edit the file? Like you when I switched owners to edit the file once I rebooted it would error out the same as you.

Thanks