SCCM is not detecting installed applications

Copper Contributor

I created an application to deploy Google Chrome, the problem is that after successfully installing Chrome, it is not detected by the SCCM client so it still shows up as available in Software Center and does not appear in the installed application tab in Software Center.  It not alone either, so far Office 365, Visio 2016, Microsoft Teams and Notepad++ all do not work.

Initially I left the detect application set to the default that the MSI set it to when I initially deployed the application.  When that didn't work I changed it to a different registry key, then I changed it to detecting Chrome.exe of version xxx, then I changed it to does Chrome.exe exist after each successive one failed.

After each change I Update Content in the SCCM console under deployment type, waited 10 minutes, Ran the Machine Policy task on the client, waited 10 minutes, ran the Application Deployment Evaluation task, waited for 10 minutes.  

I followed all those steps above for Office 365, Visio 2016 and Notepad++ as well.  I also deleted the Chrome application as redeployed it.  No change.

Any thoughts?  And what log file could I look to, to see that the application detection sequence looks like to try an detect what it is I am doing wrong.  Or what is preventing the client from detecting the applications?

12 Replies

Check this log: AppDiscovery.log

Source: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/plan-design/hierarchy/log-files#BKMK_AppManageLo...

Chrome.exe path is located under: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application. Did you check the path?

@Bigair-Mifi I did and its there.  I've also tried %programfiles(x86)% and neither work.  I'll check the log file and see if it can provide any insight.

@danielkaliel 

We use the product code for detection: {E57F8E37-C7DB-3CF8-82E4-98423E05EF63} . Check yours that you want to deploy.

This is plain and simple. Maybe you add the printscreen of the detection rule you use so we can help?

Good luck!

BTW, Your AppDiscovery.log file will tell you something like :

Performing detection of app deployment type Chrome_new(ScopeId_D75955BF-1EDF-4334-875E-7D398518EB42/DeploymentType_7ff83dad-ac6b-404d-b100-d3bfac8f8e8c, revision 7) for system. AppDiscovery 2020-06-15 14:38:47 19452 (0x4BFC)
+++ Discovered application [AppDT Id: ScopeId_D75955BF-1EDF-4334-875E-7D398518EB42/DeploymentType_7ff83dad-ac6b-404d-b100-d3bfac8f8e8c, Revision: 7] AppDiscovery 2020-06-15 14:38:47 19452 (0x4BFC)

@danielkaliel 

I was expecting the section of the AppDiscovery.log. Please provide a link or past it in the message. Have you try the MSI product code like in my example?

@Bigair-Mifi detecting the MSI code was how we had originally deployed but when that wasn't working I switched to file/version and then just file.  So I ran Machine Policy and Evaluation waited about 10 minutes and then checked the AppDiscovery.log.  The timestamp from the AppDiscovery.log was for about 3 minutes after I ran the task.  Unfortunately this is what I get when searching Up or Down.

Sccm-chrome-4.PNG

@Bigair-Mifi I may have figured it out.  I'll let you know shortly

@Bigair-Mifi Well.. i feel dumb.  But I'll ask this question, does SCCM only check the detected if installed rule if the Application Deployment is set to "Required"?  I realized in looking at the AppDiscovery log, as my screenshot shows, that it could not find Chrome within it.  So my thought then was, maybe it's not checking for it because it is not required.  I changed the deployment to required and ran the steps again and it is now discovered as installed.

@danielkaliel 

No problem! We say that we learn by our mistake. Well I did my share too as well. But I don't think is related to your deployment beeing Required or Optional. I think is the way you built your detection methode plus because you have probably install two versions of the same software on the machine AKA Chrome. Juste look for the chrome.exe specific version not equal or higher. I prefer using the registry guid , like mention above in the other thread. Or uninstall the prvious version to remove any doubts.

What is nice about required applications. When the client reevaluate is software deployment and detect the the application is not detected, it will reinstall it. This is cool when you wnat to enforce a specific software like, say Antivirus and people with admini rights decide to remove it. 

I use this in compliance settings.

By the way. Don't use Notepade ++ for your client logs. Use CMtrace, it's located on every install client under \Windows\CCM\CMTrace.exe It will highlight errors and also it live.

@danielkaliel If you're enabling the "This file or folder is associated with a 32-bit application on 64-bit systems" option for the Detection Rule, then you should use the "%ProgramFiles%" environment variable in the path. Enabling that option will cause the ConfigMgr client to use the actual "%ProgramFiles%" variable on 64-bit systems, and the "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" variable on 32-bit systems.

It doesn't matter if the application is deployed as Available or Required. In both cases, the Detection Method is used to determine if the application is installed or not. If the application is not detected after the installation command line is completed successfully (based on the return code), that will result in an error along the lines of "Application not detected after enforcement". This is an indication that the Detection Method is incorrect.

Did you use a User Collection for the deployment?
I am also facing those issues right now after changing to User Based Assignments;
Somehow it seems to be "as designed", that detection is not really working without pressing the Install-button within User Collections.