Over RAM-ing an old laptop.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

(Not strictly Win10 but I thought I'd ask anyway...)

I have an old Amilo Li2727 lying around. The spec. says it has a maximum RAM limit of 2GB. In its 2 slots there are a 1GB SODIMM memory module in each. It's running Win10 32-bit.

Does anyone have any experience of having tried >2GB of memory in this or a similar system and, if so, what happened?

(I note that sellers of memory nowadays often suggest that more that the specified maximum memory can sometimes work...)

Thanks,

Nefeco.

1 Reply
Without getting too technical I'll try to provide a general answer to your question.

The amount of RAM that can be installed on any given system is determined by the ability of the hardware components (ie. CPU) to be able to access the address space for the RAM. More RAM necessarily contains more specific adresses (each location for storage in RAM requires a unique address space for the system to reference and utilize it)

In summary, if your specs say the maximum RAM is 2GB, regardless of the number of slots and size of RAM you insert into it - it almost certainly won't work. It's a safe bet that any manufacturer would give a specification for something so critical as RAM that would be less than its actual maximum.