SfB Mac - P2P Sharing and File Transfers

Microsoft

Hey Everyone - over on the orginal blog where we announced GA for SfB Mac back in late October, we are still getting comments. Just wanted to let everyone know that after 30 days we do disable commenting on the blogs there. Instead, please come here to have a extended discussion on the blog and your experiences. On the blog, its generally just me responding. Here, you have a wide variety of peoplereading and repsonding. You will get better answers faster :-).

Now for one of the last posters to the blog (Hi Juha!), I wanted to start a discussion on this topic as many of you ask about these 2 future features.

SCREEN SHARING DURING CHAT.  We definitely hear everyone that this is important. The team has been working very hard on getting this feature ready.  As always, please note this is a futures discussion and like anything planned, we reserve the right to slow down the release if needed. That being siad, everyone here is feeling good about it so please stayed tuned - we hope to have a holiday present ready in time for you before the end of the year.

FILE TRANSFERS DURING CHAT.  Another ask we hear from customers - it is definitely known. There is a lot of convenience in being able to transfer a file when chatting with someone. The work is being planned for the first half of next year and I am hoping in late January we can give you more precise timing. Again, the futures disclaimer applies here - we try our best to help you understand timing but it is always subject to changes.

A good question to ask (so let me do that on your behalf)- "ok, Paul, I hear you on these but how do I find out more information when you have it?" The good news is that you are at the right website and the right forum. We have team of people here working very hard to make this the place to hear the latest and to discuss that news.

Hope this helps. As always reply here with your feedback.

If we made you in charge of the futures map - what would be the next 3 utems you would dictate the team builds? No 4's or 5's please :) Part of this exercise is one of basic economics - we always have to make tradeoffs given the team. so choose 1, 2, or 3 items for everyone to discuss.

2 Replies

2018, still no file transfer on Mac for SfB on premise, whereas it was the deciding factor in MSN Messenger in 2000, and worked in Lync for Mac six years ago.

Support for P2P file transfer required support in the Skype for Business server, and this shipped in the December, 2017 cumulative update for Skype for Business 2015 server.  We announced this in the "What's New" in Skype for Business for Mac topic and in the Skype for Business blog

Phil Garding