Acquiring new PSTN numbers - Beware

Steel Contributor

I learned the hard way that, at least here in the US, when acquiring new numbers for the MS Phone system from Microsoft, you may not be able to issue a CNAM request for the numbers. This is due to the fact that not all their numbers come from the same source.

Here's the response I had gotten from support about this issue after requesting a CNAM:

Upon further research, we found that this TN comes from one of our suppliers (we are not the underlying carrier and thus acquired the number through Peerless).  As such, this number does not have the capability to support CNAM.  If you need a (new) number with CNAM capability,  please email our number acquisition team at GCSTNMSD@microsoft.com to acquire a new number where the underlying carrier is Bandwidth (our partner carrier).  You can forward this email to them.

So - if CNAM is important to you when acquiring new numbers, make sure you specify to Microsoft that you want the numbers to come from Bandwidth. I'm in a situation now where a client printed business cards, updated marketing assets, etc. to advertise a new number, only now to discover that they're stuck with the default CNAM. 

Bob

Bob

0 Replies