SOLVED

Testing environment for Sharepoint Online

Copper Contributor

What is the best way to set up a testing environment for our SharePoint Online Sites?  I have an HR site that I want to test layouts and adding new web parts.  I tried doing a draft of the page I was working on but it ended up being published to the live site.  Should I create a new site collection and copy the production site to it so I can test things?  thanks

2 Replies
best response confirmed by HmeltonAppDev (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello, is this a team site or communication site ? Editing the site/page and saving as a draft is the right way to do it. However, remember that editors will be able to see the changes made. Only visitors will see the official version.

Communication site should be easily divided on visitors and admins/power users.

Team sites are tricky because the default security group is a office 365 group member. Allowing the members to edit and therefor, see the draft version.

@ArefHalmstrandit is a communication site with only contributors not editors.  Thanks for your reply.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HmeltonAppDev (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello, is this a team site or communication site ? Editing the site/page and saving as a draft is the right way to do it. However, remember that editors will be able to see the changes made. Only visitors will see the official version.

Communication site should be easily divided on visitors and admins/power users.

Team sites are tricky because the default security group is a office 365 group member. Allowing the members to edit and therefor, see the draft version.

View solution in original post