Can i publish content type from Created Hub Sites rather than Content Type Hub Site(default online)

Brass Contributor

Dear Experts,

We already know that SharePoint Online provided a default or Inbuilt site for Content Type Hub.

From here we can publish the content type and these content types are used by Site collections when it is subscribed.

Now, if i create a Site in SharePoint with Modern Experience and make it as Hub Site.

I want to create this Hub Site as my Content Type Hub Site. So i created a Content Type in this site but while i am going to publish it gives me 403 Error.

My Question can i promote the content type from a SharePoint Modern Hub Site to all ts associated sites?

Ex: "xxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/HubSite (Hub Site)"

In this site i created a content type, but i cannot publish it to use it in all the associated sites.

Thanks and Regards

Asesh Maity

3 Replies

@Asesh Kumar Maity, I have no experience with the technique of Content Type Hub.
But according to the following article you will need to activate the 'Content Type Syndication Hub' site collection feature: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/activate-a-content-type-syndication-hub-1d12ee7f-77e0-4b50-...

To be clear the concept of 'Hub sites' and 'Content Type Hub' are not related in any way.

• Hub sites is a method to "connect and organize sites based on project, department, division, region", which has nothing to do with Content types.
  • The 'Content Type Hub' is a central place for the management and publication of content types (as you already know).

The term hub in 'Content Type Hub' does not refer to the concept of 'Hub sites', but refers to the centralized function of that special site.
So, your new 'Content Type Hub' to be a 'Hub site' doesn't have to be configured as a 'Hub site'.

@Wim Vandierendonck, Thanks for your Reply.

I created a team site in SharePoint online and make this site as "Hub Site" and activated the feature "Content Type Syndication Hub".

Then I created a content type in the team site and tried to publish the content type using the option "Manage Publishing for this content type" , but I am getting 403 forbidden error.

Why I am getting this permission error, though I am the site owner.

Thanks and Regards

Asesh Maity 

@Asesh Kumar Maity afaik, You cannot achieve what you are trying to do. You need to use the pre-built ContentTypeHub that comes with SharePoint Online.