Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

SFTP Azure

Copper Contributor

Hi.

I have created an instance of a Virtual Machine on Azure. It is Microsoft Server 2016. I need to configure it for SFTP. Can any of you guide me to a "how-to" on this matter? I have been able to create a FTP connection but not the SFTP.  

Afterwards I will need to be able to create many ftp accounts, and lock each account to their own specific folder, as well as have an admin account that can read/write from any folder. Is that easy to set up? 

Thanks 

Br

5 Replies

Hej Martin

your question is not really Azure related, none the less i found you this.

You may find it easier to use a 3rd party tool like filezilla.

i hope you get it running.

Hi Kent

Thank you for your answer. 

You might be right. But I did already follow the description that you kindly provided me with as well but not able to get the connection working. I think my challenges are to open the right ports on the Azure side (get around the firewalls). That is something to be done on the Azure platform. That was the reason why i posted my question here.

I would continue my search for some help on this issue.

Br

Martin 

Hi Martin

Sorry i didnt understand your question was regarding the network aspect of azure.

What ports have you opened ?

Hi Martin,

Below is part of a guide from here: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_azure_ftps_server

On the Network interfaces page of your virtual machine, select its network interface.
On the Network security group page of the network interface, select its security group.
Create security rule for the FTP control connection:
On the Inbound security rules page of the security group, click Add in the top bar.
Type “FTP” in the Name box.
Select the FTP in the Service field.
Click the OK button and wait for the rule to be created.
Create security rule for FTP data connections according to the range you specified when setting up the FTP server:
On the Inbound security rules page of the security group, click Add in the top bar.
Type “FTP-data” in the Name box.
Keep the Custom in the Service field.
Type port range in a format min-max (e.g. 5000-5100) in the Port range box.
Click the OK button and wait for the rule to be created.
If you have multiple virtual machines running an FTP server, you can reuse the configured network security group.

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your link to the guide. 

Unfortunately the guide describes ftps access where I am interested in the sftp which is slightly different.

I can only see that sftp access is documented for Linux VM - but I want a Windows VM.

Any ideas about how to solve this?

Best regards

Martin