Syncing Staff Via Powerschool API?

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello,

I've noticed that SDS only syncs Teachers and Students when connected through the Powerschool API, and ignores anyone with the "Staff" role. Does anyone happen to know if there's a way to have it pick up staff as well?

2 Replies
Grant- thanks for the question. This is not a feature of SDS currently (unless you add the staff to you teacher list). I would like to understand the scenario better and can bring it up with our engineers. When would you want to sync staff? how would you use the information? For example, staff would not necessarily be part of a section (class), but maybe there are third party applications you use that would benefit from such a sync. I look forward to hearing your response and hopefully I can give you more information after that. Thanks, Matt McGinnis School Data Sync Product Manager

Hi Matt,

Powerschool is pretty much our source of truth for all users, we manage all students/teachers/staff there. Since we've gone cloud-only with 365/AzureAD/InTune, we don't have an on-prem AD or LDAP environment to serve as an intermediary between Powerschool and AzureAD. That makes SDS pretty much the sole user identity sync method for us (our profiles are configured using the create new user option). It seems to handle Teachers & Students brilliantly thus far (thank you to you and the team for that!), it would just be handy if it would allow us to automate staff user management in AAD/365 as well.

I can certainly understand if Staff are out of scope for SDS, I just figured I'd ask since I'd like to have a consistent process for user management (and just possibly want to enable my own laziness!). Please let me know if I can provide any other info about what we'd like to be able to do with SDS, I'm happy to discuss with you or anyone from the team.