SOLVED

How to edit approvers in an ongoing approval flow

Copper Contributor

I have an exiting flow that is currently running that has variable approvers (defined with a SharePoint lookup list of the user's names and associated email addresses). It works just fine however I didn't realize the concurrency control was set to 15. My current flow has 20 concurrent approvers so people who were 16-20 on the list did not get assigned the approval. Is there a way to modify the existing flow so these users can provide their response? I've already increased the concurrency for future runs but it is important that these users can respond the one already in progress. I already had them check the "My Approvals" in Power Automate (there are none listed) so they were not assigned the task.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Sarah_Morse (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Unfortunately no. Each running flow is a copy/instance of the one you edit and save, which is why when you make edits and save a flow changes aren't picked up until a new instance of the flow is triggered.

@Warwick Ward Thanks for the reply and insights! The remaining approvers ended up getting notified a little later once others completed the approval (thus permitting the concurrency limit to move to the next approver). So all was good in the end, but good to know this for the future too.

@Sarah_Morse I've had running approvals where the approvers needed to change. To remedy, I cancel the flow, change the approvers and resubmit the flow. 

I don't think applies to your scenario, as you want to change the flow itself, which won't work on a resubmit.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sarah_Morse (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Unfortunately no. Each running flow is a copy/instance of the one you edit and save, which is why when you make edits and save a flow changes aren't picked up until a new instance of the flow is triggered.

View solution in original post