Lagacy Windows Programme / Font readability

Copper Contributor

We have an extensive repository of Word 2003 files, and are not allowed to process them in a current Word version, but need to access them regularly.
In order for this to coexist with our new Office programmes, we have packaged Word 2003 as MSIX. So far everything works reasonably well, only the display of the truetype fonts is poorly legible if the type is somewhat smaller.
Has anyone noticed this behaviour and found a workaround?

Thank you
Michael Mueller

1 Reply

@michael müller You privately asked me to take a look at this, so I'll give you a response, although clearly, you'd prefer to hear from Microsoft.

I would guess that an approach to take would be to think of this as a high DPI issue. Odds are that Word 2003 does not have high DPI support built in, and when running that app on a system with high DPI (and in particular the display text set to more than 100%), the magnification does not occur causing those fonts to appear too small.

As a test you can try turning down the Text zooming on a system and see what happens. If that helps, then you can try to attack that as the issue for your package. This isn't an area of my experience (hey, I'm near-sighted), but I think we can trick the process into understanding the situation and helping. I think that I remember this might be done as part of an external manifest file for the exe that you'd add to the package. I'm just not sure.