SOLVED

Error while running msixmgr.exe -unpack cmdlet during MSIX App Attach creation on WindowsServer2019

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to create MSIX App Attach using the PowerShell cmdlet Windows Server 2019 virtual machine hosted on Hyper-V.

I am seeing the attached error while running the cmdlet of expand MSIX using unpack switch:

Yojana0787_3-1677676673407.png

The MSIX package unpackaging here is signed and also certificate is installed in the machine.

I suspected that it could be related to Hyper-V role on the machine. But, it seems to be all good. Here is the screenshot of what I see on my machine.

Enabled Hyper-V feature using the following PowerShell cmdlet:

Install-WindowsFeature -Name Hyper-V -IncludeManagementTools -Restart

Yojana0787_1-1677676475463.png

I see the same command is working on other VMs on the same Hyper-V for example Windows 10 VM.

Yojana0787_2-1677676475473.png

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yojana

3 Replies

@Yojana0787

Your screenshot shows "failed to load applyacls.dll".

Yojana0787_3-1677676673407.png

This error comes when ApplyACLs.dll is not present next to msixmgr.exe. In order for -applyacls argument to work, powershell or cmd should be opened in "Administrator" mode and the "ApplyACLs.dll" should be present next to msixmgr.exe.

This issue doesn't seem to be related to Windows Server 2019 support with MSIXMGR.

Can you confirm if ApplyACLs.dll was next to msixmgr.exe when you tried?
best response confirmed by Yojana0787 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Yojana0787  

The applyacls.dll is part of the msmgr distribution and should be in the same folder as the msmgr.exe.

However, unless some things have changed, I think that you will find that you can't use a dynamic VHD and need to use a fixed one.  We typically triple the size of the MSIX file as a guess (as the compression in the MSIX file tends to run about 2.5 to 1), and adjust up if needed.

Sorry for late reply and Thanks for your answer. Changing switch from dynamic to fixed solved the Problem in Windows Server 2019.
Am curious to understand how this switch is making difference in creating app attach files in Server 2019 VM's. Where as In windows 10 OS I noticed using Dynamic switch is creating app attach successfully.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Yojana0787 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Yojana0787  

The applyacls.dll is part of the msmgr distribution and should be in the same folder as the msmgr.exe.

However, unless some things have changed, I think that you will find that you can't use a dynamic VHD and need to use a fixed one.  We typically triple the size of the MSIX file as a guess (as the compression in the MSIX file tends to run about 2.5 to 1), and adjust up if needed.

View solution in original post