SOLVED

Cannot install or update UWP or WinUI apps using msixbundler

Copper Contributor

I used VS2019 (Version 16.11.2) to create a C# "Blank App, Packaged (WinUI 3 in Desktop)" project to test automatic updates.  I have a trusted certificate imported to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" and used "Create App Packages" to create the package installer and sideload the app. I also have developer mode enabled.

I can only install the app using "Add-AppDevPackage.ps1" in Powershell. If I use the msixbundler or the index.html, the installer detects if installed or if it should update, but running always fails with "App installation failed with error message: Access is denied. (0x80070005)". The attached screenshot shows this. I repeated this with the same results for a blank UWP app. 

This is the machine I am trying to update the app on.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎8/‎25/‎2021
OS build 19043.1165
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

uwptest.appinstaller

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<AppInstaller
Uri="file:///C:/tmp/uwptest.appinstaller"
Version="1.0.1.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/appinstaller/2017/2">
<MainBundle
Name="347108a8-5efd-41f9-b8ee-26e143ea5399"
Version="1.0.1.0"
Publisher="CN=vsis.manateepao.gov, O=vsis.manateepao.gov, C=US"
Uri="file:///C:/tmp/uwptest_1.0.1.0_Test/uwptest_1.0.1.0_x64.msixbundle" />
<Dependencies>
<Package
Name="Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.2.2"
Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US"
ProcessorArchitecture="x64"
Uri="file:///C:/tmp/uwptest_1.0.1.0_Test/Dependencies/x64/Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.2.2.appx"
Version="2.2.29512.0" />
<Package
Name="Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.2"
Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US"
Uri="file:///C:/tmp/uwptest_1.0.1.0_Test/Dependencies/x64/Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.2.appx"
Version="2.2.28604.0" />
<Package
Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00"
Uri="file:///C:/tmp/uwptest_1.0.1.0_Test/Dependencies/x64/Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.14.00.appx"
Version="14.0.30035.0" />
</Dependencies>
<UpdateSettings>
<OnLaunch
HoursBetweenUpdateChecks="0" />
</UpdateSettings>
</AppInstaller>

2 Replies
Does it work on another machine? Do you have this problem with other MSIX packages on the same machine?

There was a time when I had similar problems (I was able to install MSIX packages only with PowerShell - if I remember correctly an OS update messed up something).

Maybe it is something similar affecting your machine. From what I can see this generic error has a long history:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-apps-from-store-error-0x80070005/...
best response confirmed by Gregory Bologna (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Bogdan, I got it working on a brand new Win10 machine that was not added to our domain. The install and update work great. Next we will add the machine to the domain and the install should break, which means we need to identify whatever group policy is preventing this from working.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gregory Bologna (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Bogdan, I got it working on a brand new Win10 machine that was not added to our domain. The install and update work great. Next we will add the machine to the domain and the install should break, which means we need to identify whatever group policy is preventing this from working.

View solution in original post