Tags and categories in To Do

Brass Contributor

This is driving me crazy, as these things can do....

1. Categories: MS To Do help pages say you can add categories - I cannot see how to do this in To Do for either Windows or Mac. I then try it in online To Do, and there is clearly an option to add categories!! Is it the case that you can only add categories in the web-based app?? And if so, why does Help not tell you this (rather than making me waste half an hour....)

2. Tags: is there any way of getting a LIST of tags?? All I can see is that you can type # in the search box and it throws up an unreadable display of all tasks that have a # in them, and you then have to search through to see what tags you used. This is of course nuts as you enter tags free form into a task, without a list of previously used tasks - so I now have unsearchable variations - #work, #works, #workday, etc.

Help!

4 Replies
Couldn't agree more on both counts!

Tags: I have a list named "TAGS". Inside the list i create "dummy tasks" with only the tags names (e.g. #week, #urgent etc.). It is then very easy to enter the list, click on the tag of interest and see all the related tasks.

@dslaterlseacuk I totally agree, I have the same problem. I dont remember the exact tag name and end up creating duplicates.  it will be a great new feature to be able to manage ( create, update and delete) tags. 

@Mario_Corrado just wanted to say THANK YOU for this idea of adding a tags list with each tag as a task - it is so easy/perfect to just click on the tag and all the associated tasks pop up!! This brings me great joy, and I feel like your comment should have a million thumbs up :)