SOLVED

Date & Time Stamp Microsoft To Do Notes on Task

Copper Contributor

It would be really useful if there was a keyboard shortcut for entering a date and time stamp in a task within Microsoft To Do.  @marcusash 

11 Replies

@Gem11 use Autohotkey. 

Hi, can you please explain how to use autohotkey to date and time stamp on Microsoft To Do tasks.
did you find out how to do this?

@lathomason  I use the following script:

;CMD Short Date and Time

::qqdt::

FormatTime, Shorttime, YYYYMMDDHH24MISS, yyy.MM.dd HH:mm

Send, %Shorttime%

return

when I type qqdt, I get 2020.08.31 12:14

You can edit the date and time format to suit your preferences. I like it in a way that is easy to sort alphabetically when naming files. 

@GG2020- Hi that's great - any way you can explain that in non IT terms. I have never added a script before - please could you help? 

best response confirmed by Gem11 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Gem11 

1. Install AutoHotKey.
  2. Load MyScript.ahk that is included with it (by double clicking). Unless it's already loaded (you should have a green icon with an "H" in your notification tray)
  3. Copy the script from my reply
  4. Right-click on the green "H" icon in your tray and select "Edit this script". It will open MyScript.ahk in Notepad.
  5. Paste the script to the bottom of the file and save.
  6. Right-click on the green "H" icon again and select "Reload this script".
  7. Try typing "qqdt" followed by space in Notepad (or any other app) & see if it works. 
  8. Add a shortcut to "MyScript.ahk" to StartUp. 

@GG2020- Hi - I finally got round to doing this and it works! Thank you so much!! :stareyes: Just wondered if I could ask for one more nugget of your scriptwriting abilities - if I wanted to add my Initials to the end of the date to the script, what would I need to add to your current script to enable that? Thank you in advance  :smile:

@Gem11 Change the date line to this:

Send, %Shorttime% {space}ABC

(ABC = your initials)

You're amazing thank you that works :)

It would be nice if this was done Automatically anytime a new note was added by a user and include the "Initials" if on a shared list.  This feature is available on other similar applications such as Todoist which is very handy.

I assume this work around is for the desktop version of ToDo. I’m an intense tablet user and would like date stamping tasks on the iOS versions. Hope to see this soon.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gem11 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Gem11 

1. Install AutoHotKey.
  2. Load MyScript.ahk that is included with it (by double clicking). Unless it's already loaded (you should have a green icon with an "H" in your notification tray)
  3. Copy the script from my reply
  4. Right-click on the green "H" icon in your tray and select "Edit this script". It will open MyScript.ahk in Notepad.
  5. Paste the script to the bottom of the file and save.
  6. Right-click on the green "H" icon again and select "Reload this script".
  7. Try typing "qqdt" followed by space in Notepad (or any other app) & see if it works. 
  8. Add a shortcut to "MyScript.ahk" to StartUp. 

View solution in original post