Now in public preview: Video Filters in Teams Meetings

Microsoft

Description

Video Filters are a new feature in Microsoft Teams meetings that will allow participants to augment their video stream with visual effects, such as frames and styles.

Video filters help Teams users to express their personalities in meetings, bring joy into everyone's work hours, and reduce/diffuse stress.  As just one example, wrapping up a high-prio discussion, a leader might choose when to lighten the mood with a video filter.

1 Video filters detail.jpg

Flighting status

Available to everyone in Public Preview channel.

How to enable

Users can browse and select video filters from the pre-join screen and in-meeting scenarios. During pre-join, users can access Video filters from the quick tray when they have the camera enabled.

2 Video Filters in Teams Meetings.png

After joining a meeting, users will be able to apply effects from the meeting toolbar with the camera fly-out window or navigate all Video filters options on the side pane by clicking the Video effects button under the More menu.

3 Video Filters in Teams Meetings.png

4 Video Filters in Teams Meetings.png

Video filters pane detail.png

To apply video filters, users will need to give consent to install the apps.

Note 1: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Note 2: To be able to use this feature, user needs to be in Public Preview. Other meeting participants are not required to be in Public Preview.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Google Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Microsoft Edge

Yes

Yes

Known issues

None

Known limitations

• The video filters can be enabled/disabled by app level from the Tenant Admin Center.
  • Feature is not available in EDU tenants

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. Learn how at Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) 

How do I disable a filter in my tenant?

Since Video Filters are based on apps in Teams, you can manage these apps just as you would any others. See this page to learn more about how to manage apps in the Microsoft Teams admin center.  Find out more at Manage your apps in the Microsoft Teams admin center - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of your client.

Thank you,

Preview Team

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

4 Replies
Hello,
The Custom Filters app is still not showing in any of the tenants/lab tenants I have, but the app in the Teams client shows up if I enable preview. Can you check?

Thanks

Hi @Andres Gorzelany if I understand you correctly, this is to be expected since the feature is in Public Preview; it won't show up in Tenants unless they're in Public Preview as per the docs.  If I'm not understanding what you mean, can you add a bit more info?  Thanks!

@roman_frillarte I second @Andres Gorzelany as there seems to be an issue for many administrators not even seeing the Custom filters app in TAC, not being EDU.

Will we be able to create and upload custom filters?