Now in public preview: Mac Background Noise Suppression

Microsoft

Description

AI-based, real-time noise suppression, is now available in public preview for the Teams Mac desktop client. This feature will automatically remove unwelcome background noise during your meetings. AI-based noise suppression works by analyzing an individual’s audio feed and using specially trained deep neural networks to filter out the noise and retain only the speech signal. This is an update to the existing noise suppression. Users will now have have control over how much noise suppression they want.

Flighting status          

Available to all users in Public Preview channel

How to enable

Noise suppression can be enabled from your user settings, or during a meeting. Please see below for information on how to turn it on.

From the Teams main window:

1. Select your profile picture at the top right of Teams and then select Settings.

Select Devices on the left and then, under Noise suppression, select an option.
Picture1.png

Auto (default)  The Teams app decides on the best level of noise suppression based on local noise.

• High  Suppresses all background sound that isn't speech.

Notes: 

• For this option, your computer's processor must support Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2).
  • This option is currently not available if the meeting or call is being recorded or live captions is turned on.
  • Enabling this option uses more computer resources.

• Low  Suppresses low levels of persistent background noise, such as a computer fan or air conditioner. Use this setting for playing music.

• ​​​​​​​Off  Noise suppression is disabled. Use this setting for high-fidelity microphones in low noise environments.

From a meeting window:

1. Select More options in your meeting controls and then select Device settings.
  2. Under Noise suppression, select an option. (See step 2 above for option descriptions.)

Picture2.png

For more information about the feature, please visit:  https://aka.ms/noisesuppression 

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Microsoft 365 workloads and dependencies

Product, workload, or area

Dependency (Yes/No)

If yes, version requirements and other dependencies

Exchange

No

SharePoint, files

No

Skype for Business

No

Outlook add-in

No

Azure AD

No

OneDrive

No

Office

No

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Internet Explorer

X

X

Now in preview

Known issues

none

Known limitations

This feature is not yet available for Mac machines with an M1 processor.

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback 

Thank you,

Preview Team @Emily Kirby 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

7 Replies
YAY! This is one of the best upgrades ever! Thank you!
Amazing news! Are there any plans or timelines for making this available to macs with the M1 processor?

Please, when this feature will be available in Official Version? Thanks in advance!

I have enabled Public Preview on my Teams client on macOS and all I see is a single toggle switch named "Automatically adjust mic sensitivity".

I do see the controls shown in this post in my Teams client on Windows 10, but not in macOS.

Is there something I'm missing? 

also keen to know the timeline to make this happen to m1 chip.

I would appreciate if Teams were to use the system-native mic mode / noise suppression technology that can be enabled in the macOS Control Center (Normal / Wide Spectrum / Voice Isolation) instead of rolling out its own solution that is unlikely to compete in power efficiency, device support. Also, this is bad for UX because the user would expect to be able to use the Mic Mode setting in Control Center.

why M1 is not function for this?