Now in public preview: Green screen feature in Teams Meetings

Microsoft

Description

Microsoft Teams now supports a green screen feature which provides an enhanced virtual background effect. Green screen improves the sharpness and definition of the virtual background effect around your face, head, ears, and hair. It also allows you to show a prop or other object in your hand to be more visible to other meeting participants.

Green screen requires a solid color screen or a background wall behind you. The screen or background wall must be flat without stains or other irregularities. Users must apply a background effect in Teams meetings to enable the green screen effect and should carefully select the backdrop color so that the effect is applied correctly and better quality is achieved.

1.png

Flighting status

Available to everyone in Public Preview channel.

How to enable

Please make sure that you have applied a background effect in Teams meeting before enabling the green screen effect and chosen the correct backdrop color so that the effect is applied correctly. Please also ensure you have a solid color screen or clean background wall behind you.

• After you join a meeting, click the “More” icon in the meeting toolbar, go to “Video effects.”
  • When the “Video effects” panel page is open, go to “Green Screen Settings” in Backgrounds section and click the link to turn on the Green screen toggle button under “Teams settings -> Devices -> Green screen.”
  • Click the backdrop icon and move your mouse cursor into the Preview box to manually pick backdrop color.  For example, avoid picking a color that matches your clothing or props you intend to show on camera.
  • Return to your meeting.

2.png

Note 1: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Note 2: To be able to use this feature, user needs to be in Public Preview. Other meeting participants are not required to be in Public Preview.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Google Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Microsoft Edge

Yes

Yes

Known issues

None

Known limitations

• Supported only on Windows and macOS devices with Intel and AMD chips. Mac M1/M2 are not supported.
  • Green screen will automatically disable background blur and Together Mode while being compatible with Presenter modes like Standout, Side-by-Side and Reporter, PowerPoint Live Standout, and background replacement (JPEG/PNG).
  • Transparent or translucent objects cannot produce a good green screen effect.
  • If the object is too thin, it cannot be properly detected for the green screen effect.

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. Learn how at Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) 

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of your client.

3.png

Thank you,

Preview Team

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

9 Replies

@Jan_Steberl 

Trying out the green screen modification and it doesn't seem to work. Turning on greenscreen disables the background picture and just shows the actual image of me in front of a green screen.  

The green screen feature does not work for me either.

@Jan_Steberl 

I don't even have the option for chroma key. The 'Backgrounds' folder is the default options, none of which are a chrome key option. 

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 10.09.20 AM.png

@Sharris985 The feature just started to work for me today.  I think an update was pushed late yesterday.

@Jan_Steberl 

I am still not able to see these setting in my MS Teams. 

@Jan_Steberl First off, this is AWESOME!

Just curious about when we might expect M1/M2 support. I'm dying for this capability on my Mac!

@Jan_Steberlwhere is the support for current Apple hardware that uses Apple silicon rather than quickly becoming obsolete Intel hardware?  Not having green screen in teams on M2 hardware is awful. Is this coming? When will this land? Saying macOS is supported with a nice checkmark isn't really accurate.

confirming that at this time, MS Teams for MacBook Pro silicon (M1/M2), this feature is still not supported. Zoom does. Hope to see this feature soon for MacOS
This still doesn't work. When you enable the green screen settings, it turns off the virtual background! And you just see yourself with a green screen 🤷🏼‍:male_sign: