Now in public preview: Fluent Emojis

Microsoft

Description

Microsoft is releasing the new Fluent Emojis update, refreshing 1800+ emojis. The new emojis bring a modern and delightful new version of the emojis we use every day. Whether for work, school, or life, the new emojis will bring the power of fun and play into every message or reaction!

Users will see a new take on most of the previous Teams emojis, along with some new picks! All skintone-enabled emojis will continue to have 6 skintone options.

These are the specific changes:

• Emojis in chat and channels messaging will update to the new Fluent style, along with delightful animations for applicable emojis
  • Reactions in chat, channels, and live meeting reactions will update to the new Fluent style

For more background on the Fluent Emojis, feel free to read this blog post from our Fluent Design team! An Emoji For Your Thoughts. Microsoft’s new emojis | by Microsoft Design | Microsoft Design | Medium

Screenshots

Fluent emojs in the new emoji picker:

KaushalMehtaLYNC_0-1644856338740.png

A preview of many of the new emojis:

KaushalMehtaLYNC_1-1644856360366.png

Flighting status

Available now on Desktop, Web, Mobile, and Meetings.

How to enable

Enabled by default for all tenants.

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Internet Explorer

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Known issues

• Some emojis may blend in with certain backgrounds or Teams theming (ex. Ghost on light mode or Spades on dark mode).

Known limitations

• N/A

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback 

Thank you,

Preview Team, @Jason_Schumacher 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

51 Replies
Is it also available for Windows 11 (WebView2) version of Teams or only Electron client?
This update will also be coming to the Teams client that ships with Windows 11.
How is this accessible on iOS? I have it on my pc(Win 11 Dev Insider) but cannot see it on mobile iPhone/iPad

Is there a setting to turn this off and go back to the 2d or basic emojis?  Thanks :)

I know that it is possible to turn off animations. I'm not sure however, if the new fluent emojis are considered an animation. GIFs and Memes are for sure. You can disable animations individually by clicking on "..." at the top of the Teams interface & then clicking into Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the general tab and check "Turn off animations". Animations can also be disabled at a tenant level by Admins but, again I'm not sure if the fluent emojis are covered by that.
I am wondering who actually approved this design? Everyone I've spoken to rather prefer the "original" 2d emojis. These are way too much.

to be honest and straight - new design looks like sh**. Maybe some teenagers at their early 11'ish like it, but it would be nice to allow users 12+ to switch back ;)

The New Emojis is worst in Design, Not sure how it got approved officially.

Any bodby knows how to revert it.

I was under the impression that this was a strange bug that caused the emojis of "a bygone generation" to become active. The emojis look 2000s and I even opened a Reddit thread to find out what I can do about it. I'm sorely disappointed that these are apparently supposed to be "new" emojis. The old ones were so beautifully simple yet accurate. Is there any way to revert back to the old ones?

I would like to add another view; I actually really like the new emojis. (I'm in my 30s btw, not 11).
Unfortunately ugly as hell. How can I get the old emojis in teams?

@nicklunn also 30+ and I love these. The poop emoji is adorable. They set a lighter tone than the old ones did. Bunch of old cranky crones in this comment section. 

@LuiIacobellis I'm also wondering how we can disable at least the GIFs within the Teams Fluent Emojis at the Tenant level. It'd only make sense that it'd be a built in capability, since we can disable the built-in Teams GIFs...

@_madi_ I assume you're referring to the ability to disable the animations that are included in the new Fluent Emojis versus the status Emojis that were previously implemented. If yes, I don't think that is possible at this time. The only items that can be disabled in the Teams Admin Center tenant wide are:

1. Disable Giphy in Conversations
  2. Disable Members in Conversations
  3. Disable Stickers in Conversations

Teams-Admin.jpg

@Blue_Narciss I'm also in my 30s and thought they were terrible. Before I even said anything, the others on my team (also in their 30s) started a chat about how creepy they are.  We're all UX designers and wondering how Microsoft did their research on this O.O

please strongly, seriously, but-really consider rolling back the emoji change. I'm not sure why they were changed, licensing costs, who knows, but they are much harder to identify, and overall just look like a blur compared to the sharp 2d ones we used to have.

please please please don't publish this change.

These "things" are now live and I really miss the previous ones.

These new emojis are way too fancy/cute for professional use. I feel childish each time I use one and have been barely using them lately.

I even cancelled some messages altogether due the the lack of  an appropriate emoji to set the tone of my message without misunderstanding.

You should really consider giving access to the classic ones in parallel or instead of these.

This new emojis are not professional. Please consider giving a way to switch on previous icons.
The fluent emojis promised in the salespitch https://vimeo.com/573224898, got implemented as sunburnt pixellated blobs. ouch.