Now in public preview: Assign Seats in Together Mode

Microsoft

Description

Teams meeting organizer now has the option to assign seats in Together Mode for all participants in a meeting.

Meeting organizer can assign seats to meeting invitees and all the participants currently in the meeting by dragging the user to the preferred seat. Once assigned, organizer can apply the newly created layout and everyone in the meeting will see the participants organized by the seating assignment.

KaushalMehtaLYNC_0-1659044788979.png

Flighting status

Available to everyone in Public Preview channel.

How to enable

Teams meeting organizer will see an option to assign seats to participants while turning on Together Mode or later from the scene selection dialog box following these steps:

• Join a Teams Meeting as a meeting organizer.
  • Click on "View" -> "Together Mode" to enable Together Mode.
  • The first time when enabling Together Mode in a meeting, a window will pop up, allowing you to select scenes and make other Together Mode configurations. (When you want to adjust already existing seating, go to "View" -> "Together Mode" -> "Change scene")
  • Click on "Assign Seats"
  • Try to assign users to an empty seat and click "Assign".
  • Users will be placed in the selected seats.

Note 1: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Note 2: To be able to use this feature, meeting organizer needs to be in Public Preview. Other users are not required to be in Public Preview.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Google Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Microsoft Edge

Internet Explorer

Yes

Yes

Known issues

None

Known limitations

None

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. Learn how at Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) 

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of your client.

Thank you,

Preview Team @Jan_Steberl 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

2 Replies
Great feature, Here is a short video I have made to show how it works
In public preview https://youtu.be/Vk02YAbL090
I am struggling to see any practical application for this - i.e. why use time on deciding where people are going to sit in an digital room? I see various blogposts on this new feature, but have yet to see anyone providing a use case for it. Possibly one could see some use for it if it is a very large meeting and you want quickly to be able to look at certain people during the meeting. But a lot of job if the meeting is big, and people still can just turn of their video if they like.