Now in Public preview & Targeted release: Live translated transcript for Teams Premium users

Microsoft

Microsoft Teams Public Preview and Microsoft 365 Targeted Release users with a Teams Premium license can now use live translated transcript in Teams meetings. As a Teams Premium user, you now have the option to translate the meeting transcript into another language than what was originally spoken in the meeting. You can select from more than 30 languages currently supported. The transcript is displayed on the side panel of the meeting, which can help make your meeting more productive and inclusive.

1.png

Flighting status

Available to everyone in Public Preview channel.

How to enable

To turn on transcription during the meeting: Go to the meeting toolbar, select More, select Record and transcribe, choose Start transcription.

By default, live transcriptions are displayed in the language that’s chosen as the “spoken language“ in the transcript option. Live translated transcription allows users to see transcriptions translated into the language they’ve chosen in the option “transcript language“ that can be accessed from the Settings icon :gear: in the Transcript pane.

2.png

Please make sure you have a Teams Premium license to experience the feature. In the Teams admin center, admins can turn ON or turn OFF the Transcription setting within a meeting policy located under Meetings > Meeting policies. This setting is OFF by default. For additional information on configuring transcription and captions for Teams meetings, please visi....

How to get started with Microsoft Teams Premium:  https://aka.ms/SetupTeamsPremium

Note 1: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Note 2: To be able to use this feature, user needs to be in Public Preview and have Teams Premium licence. Other meeting participants are not required to be in Public Preview.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Google Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Microsoft Edge

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Known issues

None

Known limitations

None

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

To enable your Teams client for the Public Preview, IT administrators need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams.

For Targeted Release, global admins can go to the Microsoft 365 admin center and choose to give a selected set of individuals access to Targeted Release, or they can enroll the entire organization in Targeted Release. Learn more about setting up the release option in the admin center here.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of your client.

3.png

Thank you,

Preview Team

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

4 Replies
Is the recorded transcription in the spoken language or is it based on who starts the recording?
I've turned transcript on in meeting policies and am able to get transcripts but there doesn't appear to be a translate option?

@Jan_Steberl Our concern is, if in this meeting, and speakers are presenting in various languages, would the best practice be to change spoken language as each person presented?  That would be awkward in roundtable meeting between, say the USA, Italy, and Japan.

Great feature I'm using all the time in the meetings with my Japanese-speaking team members.
While the quality of the translation isn't always perfect, it is good enough to make conversation more fluid even without the need for an interpreter.
However, usability needs to be improved.
Currently I must change spoken language every time manually and it takes multiple clicks to do it in the current UI. Very inconvenient and distracts from the conversation.
Ideally, I would prefer Teams to recognize the language of the speaker so all participants of the meeting can follow conversation in the transcript. (I also understand that this may take a while to implement.)
Solution that would be easier to implement in the short term is to bring directly to the main meeting screen a switch allowing participants to change spoken language easily (E.g. English <-> Japanese). That would allow the meeting participants to change spoken language instantly as they switch from one language to another. At the same time, each participant can follow the whole conversation in their own language of choice in the transcript.