Released to WW - Chapters on audio and video files in SharePoint, Teams, Yammer, and OneDrive

Microsoft
You can now add chapters on audio and video files in M365 (SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, and Yammer).  This allows you to make it easier for your viewers/listeners to jump to the specific part of the audio/video that interests them. Breaking down a long video/audio file into chapters really helps with making the content more useful. This new capability is better than what we had available in Stream (Classic), where previously the only way to get a sort of chapter type experience was to type time codes into the video description. 

Currently as of June 3, 2022 this feature is enabled to 100% of worldwide users. (GCC coming soon). 

Help doc: https://support.microsoft.com/office/using-manual-chapters-with-videos-on-stream-on-sharepoint-8bbf6...

MarcMroz_0-1653406685768.png

12 Replies
Chapters are now released to 100% of worldwide. GCC environments are coming soon.

@Marc Mroz
Is it possible to share a link to a specific chapter in the video on SharePoint? The design of these features is better than Classic Stream, especially chapters. For education and training videos, it would be helpful to be able to link to a specific chapter and I can't see a way to do so at the moment as the URL doesn't change when clicking on the chapter.

No that's not possible today. But coming soon is share at time code. And the chapter team has it on their backlog to do share a chapter directly, but not sure when they'll be free to start that work. Everyone who tries chapters wants this! You could also add it to our feedback portal and have others vote for it. Https://aka.ms/streamideas

Thanks for the quick reply @Marc Mroz. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or the documentation. I have submitted the suggestion through the Feedback portal here (in case anyone wants to upvote it:smile:) https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/436ce44d-d2f3-ec11-a81b-000d3a03dba2) 

@Marc Mroz 

User error?  I'm loving the Chapters feature and we are incorporating this into our training recordings.  After downloading the video to add it to the published training sharepoint site, the chapters are lost and have to be re-entered.  This also appears to happen when copying the file to a different location.  Am I doing something incorrectly?  Or should chapters only be added after the file is in it's final destination?

Download and reupload will lose all the extra Metadata that info is not inside thr video file it's only in the cloud.

If you use the Move or copy buttons in ODB or SPO web UI the chapters and transcripts should go with the file.

We are adding move and copy buttons to the new Stream web app player page coming soon to make it easier. Otherwise find the file in the document library or OneDrive list view and use move or copy button.

@Marc Mroz is there a way to see previous versions of edited stream videos? 

If you edit the transcript does it also edit what is said in the video? Or is there a way to record over a section in the video or cut out a section in the video? I'm looking for dialog that was previously in the video but now seems to be missing or changed. 

No. There is no video editing directly in Stream. Someone could upload a new version of the video they edited offline and replace the existing one.

If you open the library or ODB file list where the file is stored,..., Version History, you can see all the past versions and if someone changed the video itself.
Is there a how to video or tip sheet on how to do as you mentioned.. "open the library or ODB file list where the file is stored,..., Version History, you can see all the past versions and if someone changed the video itself."
i am seeing that it is not possible to export videos with chapters - why is this not accessible if chapters are readily available in mp4 container?

@ajadavis - Correct it's not possible to export or download a video with chapters in it. We built chapters as a "cloud only" feature directly in SharePoint and OneDrive. The chapters are not saved into the video file they are saved as metadata in ODB/SPO. 

It would have been a much more complicated feature to save the chapters into the video file itself given rewriting of the original file, support for all kinds of audio/video formats especially ones that don't have a concept of chapters inside their file format. 

@Marc Mroz thanks for the quick reply, and understood.

as i see it, teams recorded meetings default to the mp4 format. since this supports chapters, it would be cool to add this feature to native microsoft app recorded meetings (not sure if other apps doing video recording in ms ecosystem are default mp4 as well). 

anyway, thanks for the reply!