SOLVED

Does the Original Video Quality affect Playback or Bandwidth Used?

Brass Contributor

I'm familiar w/ YouTube's abominable compression tactics to reduce file size.  

As I'm using Stream (on SharePoint) I realize that behind the scenes, the original files are preserved.  Cool!   But wait...does that mean that the original files are streamed to the client?

If so, we probably need to pursue best practices for encoding the video before uploading.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by kduck (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You shouldn't have to worry about the originals encoding. We try and it intelligently stream it. Sometimes we might use the original if it's small enough but if it's not we transcode it on the fly to optimize the playback experience. However, we aren't handling really high bitrate and resolution videos so intelligently today but we are working on that now.
great, thanks for the insight!

@Marc Mroz 

Hi, I would add a question: using the original file when it is small enough has the drawback that the receving device must support its encoding, insn't it? Will the video streaming strategy be updated for small video also, so that every video file is streamed in an uniform way, regardless of the size/bitrate?

Thanks!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kduck (Brass Contributor)
Solution
You shouldn't have to worry about the originals encoding. We try and it intelligently stream it. Sometimes we might use the original if it's small enough but if it's not we transcode it on the fly to optimize the playback experience. However, we aren't handling really high bitrate and resolution videos so intelligently today but we are working on that now.

View solution in original post