Nov 03 2023
Nov 06 2023
Link : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev-box/overview-what-is-microsoft-dev-box
note that this is a personal effort
How does Dev Box work?
How developers are using Microsoft Dev Box ?
Dev Box uses cloud resources to host complete development environments that be accessed from any device anywhere.
Infrastructure as code, for code ?
ARM model (Terraform and Bicep in future releases)
you need to register a new resource provider
az provider register --namespace Microsoft.DevCenter
Azure Dev Box roles
High-level Dev Box workflow
Our Lab : Let's Go
==> Our Goal in this step is : Allow the Dev Boxes to connect to the Vnet
Next step, Dev Center ==> Networking ==> Add+ ==> the network connection
Dev Center ==> Projects ==> Create ==>
Next, ==> Limits ==> +Create
Limits allow you to restrict how many dev boxes each developer can create in a project. A limit of zero will prevent creation of all dev boxes in this project.
If the the Project is available, you must assign all the assignees to manage this project.
Affect the role "DevCenter Dev Box User" to the users who will manage the project
To do that, please refer to this steps :
Dev Center ==> Projects ==> "Choose your project" ==> Dev box pools ==> Create
Now, you can create the DevBox
So, you can navigate to this link : https://devbox.microsoft.com/
Connect with your account that have the role "DevCenter Dev Box User"
Click on 'New Dev box'
Choose the name and click on 'Create'.
Time for provision : +25min
Click on "Connect" :
Also, you can manage your Dev Box :
Configure hibernation in Microsoft Dev Box (Preview)
Link : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev-box/how-to-configure-dev-box-hibernation
- Pricing : https://azure.microsoft.com/pricing/details/dev-box/?WT.mc_id=AZ-MVP-5004796
- Configure Azure Compute Gallery for Microsoft Dev Box : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev-box/how-to-configure-azure-compute-gallery
- Grant administrative access to Microsoft Dev Box projects : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev-box/how-to-project-admin
- Grant user-level access to projects in Microsoft Dev Box : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev-box/how-to-dev-box-user
- Control costs by setting dev box limits on a project : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev-box/tutorial-dev-box-limits
- Dev Box could be enrolled into intune ?
This is a very good service for developers